What did I do?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: What did I do?

Postby PToombs » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Usually when you have the head shaved you use a thicker gasket to keep compression about the same. Guys that are going to twins or run nitrous or propane will go thicker to lower compression because of the extra amount of air going into it. You should probably go with a .020 over sized if they mill it again, and maybe even if they don't. Case uses Victor Reinz gaskets on their Cummins engines, Felpro may be ok too, I can't remember anything bad about them.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby 90chum » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:29 am

Thanks for the clarification, definitely gonna talk to the head shop about gasket brand and getting a thick one, my buddy's boss has a truck they o-ringed and such that runs 70psi daily (2g truck) so i think they should know what to do to have it stay together.
1990 w250 RCLB auto-some stuff to make a constant haze, diamond eye 4" straight, 47rh with goerend triple disk and suncoast innerds, body panels and more panels. shes occassionally referred to as a dirty slut, but usually just chum
90chum
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 90chum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Bad news today, my head is cracked...says will probably leak coolant. Could I use a second gen head since a first gen one is difficult to find? My injectors are the smaller ones with the adapters around the nozzles, would there be any other issues/changes needed to use one?
1990 w250 RCLB auto-some stuff to make a constant haze, diamond eye 4" straight, 47rh with goerend triple disk and suncoast innerds, body panels and more panels. shes occassionally referred to as a dirty slut, but usually just chum
90chum
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Just about every NON-IC (9mm injector bore) head is cracked. The head on my 91 has cracks at every injector bore, and it still performs just fine, I push 42-44 psi on it when I am flogging it. Any head 91.5-98 (7mm injector bore) will work just fine, they are all just about the same. I picked up a 7mm head for $175, just sitting till I can get O-rings cut in it, then it'll get put on, studs and all. When I had my old head off, I cleaned it and checked it for straightness and slapped it back on. FWIW, I used a Victor Reinz gasket too.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby 90chum » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:34 am

Got a head last night, already cleaned, decked, and o-ringed :D . Turns out my buddy had it ready for when the one on his truck went, so he could just swap it out quick. just need some gaskets yet and i think i can have smoke before long, yay
90chum
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Engine