PROBLEM with the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR or FUEL PUMP??

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

PROBLEM with the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR or FUEL PUMP??

Postby hokietiger » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 pm

I have a 1989 Dodge Power Ram W100, 318 c.i., 4x4, Auto Trans with throttle body fuel injection.

I have completed the following as general maintenance....Rebuilt throttle body, new O2 sensor, new plugs, new wires, new distributor cap and rotor button, new ignition pickup in distributor, new PCV valve, new Air Filter, and new Fuel Filter....Original Fuel injectors appear to be functioning OK but was alos wondering if they need replacing. They are original to the truck.

Starts OK cold....Can drive for several miles OK. Stop for 15-20 mins and then try to restart with no luck until it cools down 15++ minutes later.
Also, at times, I can start it cold and the idle with bog down and go back up continuously. And sometimes, it will start nicely when cold and idle perfectly. I've checked on possible vacuum leaks and have none.

I bought the truck from a one owner and I know for sure the FUEL PRESSURE REGUALATOR and the in-tank FUEL PUMP have never been replaced.

Frustrating!!

Thanks for all help!!

Mike
hokietiger
fuel screw!!!!

Re: PROBLEM with the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR or FUEL PUMP??

Postby Remps » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:02 pm

I see you didn't replace the coil yet.. Maybe it gets hot and then causes issues? Have you checked the spark when it doesn't want to start? Or try a different coil?
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Return to Engine