engine fuel filter unscrewing ?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

engine fuel filter unscrewing ?

Postby jethro » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:27 pm

The other day I noticed a fuel leak-- good sized speen from drivers side of the engine.
Removed the throttle cable bracket-- and the first thing I noticed was the the fuel filter was loose. I am pretty sure I would not have left it loose when I put it on.

I am thinking it unscrewed its self some how-----
Do any of know of a fuel filter that has a tab on the edge for safety wire ?

My home made idea is to wrap a new filter with a ring of cloth electrical tape--- put a hose clamp on the filter-- then drill the tab end on the hose clamp for lockwire.

aircraft filters have a tab built right onto the filter body for that purpose.......

Anyone else have a filter unscrew ? (been on about 3 years/2000 mi.)

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: engine fuel filter unscrewing ?

Postby PToombs » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:11 am

I have never seen a fuel filter unscrew itself, and I have seen a lot of them working on heavy equipment. I would remove the filter, make sure the stud is tight and install a new filter. I don't think I would screw around with tape, clamps, or any of that stuff.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Ive never had one unscrew either----
Maybe before I try the clamp-- Ill replace it with new- and maybe paint a stripe down the side that faces out when tight so I can see
any movement when the hood is up----
Will check stud when it have the old one off.
This is in a ford chassis- so I never attempted to connect the water sensor- thinking it would prob. be incompatible with fords's----
(I have no idea how it works electrically---) so I was thinking to look for the other style of filter that just has a quick drain on the bottom.

Do you think I am making a good or bad assumption about the ford vs dodge water sensor being different ? could all the sensors be made
by the same company and all have the same output ?

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:27 pm

Tim, I would be willing to bet that the sensors are not comparable being that the vehicles are different manufacturers.
A stripe on the filter is a good idea, it will make it easy to keep an eye on it. A Fleetguard FS1221 is a replacement that has a drain but no sensor.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:12 pm

I was thinking that too--- but I went and looked at some how-to videos for replacing the sensor on the ford. It plugs into the frame
rail fuel pump housing. The sensor has 2 metal probes with a plastic fin between them. Looks like just a resistance measurement.
(of coarse I don't know if it is ac or dc resistance -- :-) or even capacitance ???) )
The 6BT also looks like it has 2 pins with a short plastic wall between them.
I might try calling diesel conversions and ask if they know...….. they seem to be pretty good at knowledge based stuff to do with conversions.

One bad thing I read -- was that the system the ford uses to monitor -- supposedly takes 10 min to turn the warning light on in the cab.
Some people were suggesting aftermarket units would perform quicker to prevent water injestion. That sounds like something like Ford
would do-----

Ford was good back in the 1970's and early 80's. Bet then they let the engineers go wild. Never been good since. I don't think they even
know how to make something simple and reliable. Dodge has them beat for sure -- at least on engines -----

T
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:06 pm

I would expect moisture sensors to be compatible. If they're just two electrodes sitting in fluid, waiting for water to flow between them, then the exact design of the electrodes shouldn't make too big a difference. If the electrodes were farther apart on one sensor than the other then there might be a sensitivity difference.

If you're really concerned about building a moisture sensing circuit, it would not be too difficult.

Hell, you could probably just measure resistance between the electrodes with a cheap hand-held meter and go off that raw number.

I've never had a fuel filter back off either. Do you have that little fuel heater on there still, between the head and the filter?

K&N makes oil filters that have the safety wire cleat on the bottom. I wonder if they make similar fuel filters...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Return to Engine