Just for laughs!!"does ford own cummins?"

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Just for laughs!!"does ford own cummins?"

Postby jrmcleod78 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:43 pm

Well I'm stuck up in Barrow Alaska looking after a canadian plane doing a whale counting contract for shell. I've been here for 10 days and the plane has flown a grand total of 3 times. As you can imagine I am bored out of my skull. Just for huh? and giggles I went to my trusty GOOGLE page and typed in this stoooopid question which any sane and halfassed informed diesel lover such as I know the answer to. OF COURSE THEY DO!! , naa just playing with your minds.
This came to mind because my nefew(18 yrs old) is working as an auto apprentice at a locall chevy dealer at home. He gets a lot of ribbing being he is a Mopar fan and drives one of those hopped up Neons with the FART pipe and such. Well he comes home about 2 weeks ago and informs me that Cummins is owned by ford, at least thats what some fool at work told him. well I told him to go check it out on the internet and prove the guy wrong.
Well now that I have all the free time on my hands I checked out what the net had to say. I gotta tell ya that I have never laughed so hard in all my life.I found everything from , ford owns cummins outright to ford dosen't own it but just because they don't want to,ford makes the cummins engine for cummins, ford just lets dodge use it for now,and my all time favorite"for 22k you can order a cummins in a ford f350(from ford) now, my dads friend did it and just got his new truck"LMAO"(this post was dated 2005). In most posts there is someone of sound mind that finally posts the link to cummins website FAQs.
So all this leads to, if you are bored and need a good laugh just type"does ford own cummins" in google. You won't be disapointed.

I was going to post some links to the stuff I found, but finding it was half the fun.

One real intresting thing I did find on one posting was a synopsis one guy did on the global ownership of the diesel engine manufactures. I thought some of you may be intrested to read it. If you believe any of it.......Cummins owns a piece of whats under the hood of ferd & chev........
Aint life funny?
Any way I posted the link of where I found that piece at the bottom.
Let me know what you think.

Cheers :D

03-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Senior User

Posts: 182 heavyiron is starting off with a positive reputation.
It may take awhile to find, but one member awhile ago posted an excellent, very thouroughly researched article about Cummin's and it's evolution.

I hope I can find it because after reading it you will be amazed.

Ford dreams it could own part of Cummin's. The reality seem's to be that Cummin's could probably buy out whoever they so desired !!

Ok, here it is, many thanks to the original poster. Now everyone take note.

Originally Posted by BFR250SD
It's not who owns Cummins, but who does Cummins own?

(1) Isuzu owned Subaru, and sold out to Fuji Heavy Industries, which was then jointly acquired by British Leyland and Ford.

(2) BL & Ford then spun off Fuji/Subaru into an independent company. Big mistake. Ford bought BL, and owned Isuzu outright. Big mistake.

(3) Isuzu entered into a joint development partnership with Navistar International. Stock interests were traded. Eventually, one of the projects would be a 7.3L V-8 light-duty diesel. Guess who picked that one up for use in its pickup trucks?

(4) Navistar also had entered into a joint development partnership with Caterpillar. One of the projects was a direct injection system that would be picked up by -- Ford. And Isuzu mediums.

(5) Caterpillar owned a large chunk of Bosch. GM owned another big chunk. And so did a third major player -- Daimler Benz. Bosch was the primary developer of Caterpillar's direct injection system. But GM forced Caterpillar to turn over its share of Bosch, and then forced Bosch to abandon direct injection in favor of developing an "improved" generation rotary injection pumps. The initial designs for those pumps had been brought to GM by former Isuzu engineers working for Ford.

(6) What did Caterpillar receive in return for giving GM its stock in Bosch? GM's stock in Cummins. Ford then sold its small share of Cummins stock because of antitrust regulations in the U.S. Caterpillar, on the other hand, avoided antitrust problems by a joint incorporation agreement with Cummins under a Brazilian operation named Inquardo, Ltd.

(7) Eventually almost all Cummins manufacturing and design were moved over to that part of the "house". However, that move proved so efficient and profitable that Cummins began to eat into significant markets for Caterpillar, so Caterpillar merged its manufacturing and design base with Cummins in Brazil, leaving skeleton operations only in places like Peoria, Illinois. Cummins management largely pushed out Caterpillar management after several years.

(8) With me so far? Caterpillar owns Cummins, but Cummins has effectively "eaten" Caterpillar. In Brazil. Here, they're separate, of course, but it's only the purposes of adhering to American commercial law. But wait. There's more.

(9) Ford had some disasterous capitalization-and-flow problems after the overseas buying spree of the early nineties, during which it acquired British Leyland, Isuzu, Fuji, part of Fiat, and parts of other companies. Ford was forced to sell Isuzu to maintain cash flow beyond the U.S. Who did they sell Isuzu to? Navistar International. Along with certain manufacturing and sourcing arrangements. Navistar hoped to go global again, as in the grand old days of International Harvester.

(10) But Navistar couldn't hold on to Isuzu either, what with a $2 billion dollar loss in 1995, and eventually sold its controlling interest in the company to Daimler Benz.

(11) Isuzu was having its own problems, since its global market share in light and medium diesels was rapidly shrinking. The cause of the problem was Cummins, which, after swallowing Caterpillar - in Brazil - had also acquired NGT, Tapei Technologies, Allison Canada, and Nansen-Renault, all in hostile takeovers, all manufacturers of diesel technologies outside of the U.S. So, Cummins had effectively cornered the controlling share of the global market outside of North America and Western Europe. (Why do you think the splashgate at their website is so heavily global?)

(12) After nine months of negotiation, Cummins and its subsidiary, Allison Canada, entered into a joint development arrangement with Isuzu, owned by Daimler, and with the surviving U.S. corporation, Allison, which was at that point partly owned by GM. Cummins, however, dominated the partnership, and eventually managed to assume Daimler's and GM's interests in Isuzu and and Allison.

(13) In the case of Isuzu, Cummins has an equal partnership with Daimler, which, of course, has also acquired Chrysler Corporation. That's why, when Ford offered Cummins a billion-dollar package to manfacture medium and light truck diesels for its vehicles in 2001, Cummins said no. Again, for antitrust reasons, a public holding company was set up to handle Isuzu as a separate corporate entity. The name of the company is Benz Transporation Technologies, of San Paulo, Brazil. BTT also is a major owner of the Benz division of Daimler Chrysler, which manufacturers most of the diesel engines in Europe. In the case of Allison, Cummins controls it through a series of holding companies ending with Inquardo, Ltd., the orginal Caterpillar-Cummins creation in Brazil. Cummins also controls a fair-size block of stock in GM, through the ownership of a cartel of South Korean and Thai banks and investment groups.

(14) Navistar has continued its free-fall in spite of its partnership with Ford in the light-duty diesel area. Three weeks ago, after the implications of labor troubles, a rise in basic resource costs, and the disasterous introduction of the 6.0L PSD had become clear, Navistar's financial arrangements with Citibank and Manufacturers B&T collapsed. Both banks arranged to float the company infrastructural loans if it would agree to a merger with -- are you ready for this? -- Inquardo, Ltd. As of last Thursday, Cummins owns 67% of Navistar through Inquardo.

Right now, Cummins makes all diesels in all pickup trucks sold in the United States. Cummins makes 73% of all diesels in all trucks sold in the world. The board of directors at Inquardo -- which isn't listed on any stock exchange -- includes 9 Cummins execs, 2 Caterpillar execs, and one Wells Fargo Bank exec. The CEO and CFO are also Cummins vice presidents. And there are Cummins execs on the boards of Daimler Chrysler, General Motors, Toyota, and Honda America. Ford, the holdout, has not been doing very well.

So it isn't a question of who owns Cummins. It's a question of who Cummins owns, and who's next. Could be Ford. Could be DC. Could be both. Ford Viper, anyone? Mercedes Mustang with a 6.0L Shelby Diesel and a Holset twin turbo?

And some have claimed that the new Navistar/Ford 6.0L is Cummins' revenge for the Bosch VP44"
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/585667-does-ford-own-cummins.html
Truck 1
92 250 CTD 4x4(500,000 KM) 12,000 lb warn, K&N filter, BD injectors, straight exhust, Centerforce 3 clutch, pump cranked(245 hp, 650 lbs TQ)
Truck 2
92 250 CTD 2wd(186,000 KM), Bone stock work truck.
jrmcleod78
fuel pin?

Postby jrmcleod78 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:30 pm

Well I'm gonna post this on the DTR fourm and see what happens too.
Truck 1
92 250 CTD 4x4(500,000 KM) 12,000 lb warn, K&N filter, BD injectors, straight exhust, Centerforce 3 clutch, pump cranked(245 hp, 650 lbs TQ)
Truck 2
jrmcleod78
fuel pin?

Postby jrmcleod78 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:07 pm

OK HERE IT IS. Did a bunch of research on the stuff in that post I found, had to see if any is true. NOPE not a word of it. Hope you find the links intresting.

I think I've found the most basic form of this stuff I can hope for.
Here is a great link that you can pretty much find out anything you want about
your favorite company. If you pay you find out more.

chrysler
http://www.transnationale.org/companies/chrysler.php

Diamler AG
http://www.transnationale.org/compan...erchrysler.php
Note: Own

Navistar
http://www.transnationale.org/companies/navistar.php
Note: No Ford ownership!

Ford
http://www.transnationale.org/companies/ford_motor.php
Note: Still nothing about navistar.
I guess we can conclude without a doubt that the powerstroke
name belongs to ford as much as dodge own cummins.

GM
http://www.transnationale.org/compan...ral_motors.php
Note: GM doesn't own the DMAx either.

Cummins
http://www.transnationale.org/compan...ins_engine.php
Note: no mention about who owns the stock on this link, but I
think it is safe to say not Dodge, Ford, Or GM

Isuzu
http://www.transnationale.org/compan...uzu_motors.php
Note: Looks like Isuzu is owned wholly by Mitsu, not diamler
and the next link says it all.MITSU OWNS 100% of isuzu.
http://www.transnationale.org/companies/mitsubishi.php

Caterpillar Inc.
And you will never guess who owns CAT. Yep CAT OWNS ITSELF
NOT CUMMINS as the list stated
http://www.transnationale.org/companies/caterpillar.php

Allison
http://www.transnationale.org/compan...ansmission.php
Note: owned by onex(canada) and carlyes group(USA)

Fiat
http://www.transnationale.org/companies/fiat.php
Note: Fiat not owned by Ford, but fiat itself owns 85% of CASE/NEWHOLLAND

Well I am going to say that most of the junk put into that post is just that...."JUNK"
Truck 1
Truck 2
jrmcleod78
fuel pin?

Postby meby » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:54 pm

that first list is pretty funny. kinda hard to follow. :)
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:35 pm

I dont think Cummins would degrade itself by manufacturing an engine with an HEUI fuel system. What a turd. have yet to see one last as long as normal HPCR or the old standby jerk pump.

I had heard and read about Cummins' global trading and takeovers, and took it with a grain of salt. I thought GM and Isuzu had had a partnership since the 70s? Isuzu made the Chevy Luv, along with the Duramax engines now.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Re: Just for laughs!!"does ford own cummins?"

Postby ytodd » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:35 pm

jrmcleod78 wrote:...so Caterpillar merged its manufacturing and design base with Cummins in Brazil, leaving skeleton operations only in places like Peoria, Illinois.

This was the funniest part of the whole post. I live in Peoria which is the world headquarters for CAT and they employee a huge number of people here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar,_Inc.
ytodd
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jrmcleod78 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:58 pm

like I posted, pretty much all junk and all it took was a little research to find that out. The idea of looking at it was "what we believe and take for fact" when we read it on the net or one of our friends or a coworkers tell us and then how quick it spreads then all of a sudden everybody believes it. Even when I found proof that ford does not and never owned cummins( only 10% at one time in the early 90's) there are still believers that will argue the fact.
So as far as that crap about cummins owning cat....there are people who will take it as fact and its hard to change their minds, even though I posted a link to prove CUMMINS DOES NOT OWN CAT . Even the some of the stuff I found about GM not owning any part of Isuzu is hard to convince a diehard bowtie guy that it is fact.
Anyway it was a lot of fun finding the info, but at times really confussing trying to piece it together.
Truck 1
Truck 2
jrmcleod78
fuel pin?

ownige

Postby cummins king » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:21 pm

its very possible that ford owns dodge, gm owns ford, ext. or any combonation there of. in the stock market. :shock: :) :D :lol:
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Re: ownige

Postby jrmcleod78 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:23 am

cummins king wrote:its very possible that ford owns dodge, gm owns ford, ext. or any combonation there of. in the stock market. :shock: :) :D :lol:

That was the point of posting the links, that site tells you which stock those company's own so no its not possible.
Truck 1
Truck 2
jrmcleod78
fuel pin?

stock

Postby cummins king » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:22 pm

sorry i didn't read it
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Return to Lounge