slack in parking brake cable

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

slack in parking brake cable

Postby Ol_blue88 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:18 pm

88 w100 reg cab. chrysler 9.25 rear

my parking brake has started to not grab very tightly as of late. today when i crawled under the truck i noticed that there is a lot of slack in the parking brake cable. i tightened the adjuster just enough to take the sag out of the cable but not enough to apply any pressure to the rear brakes. (the 2 nuts on the adjuster were about half way on the treaded end of the cable). when i went to try the parking brake i could hadly move it it was so tight.

so my question is should i loosen the cable back to were it was and let it sag or is a sagging cable not normal and i have a problem
Ol_blue88
fuel pin?

Re: slack in parking brake cable

Postby Ol_blue88 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:21 pm

in all my experence a parking brake cable shouldnt be so loose that you can see it dangling underneath the truck but not enough to make the rear brakes start to apply. there should be slight tension on it until you press the pedal down. this is how it is on my 97 1500
Ol_blue88
fuel pin?

Postby ellis93 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 pm

The cables are either froze up or the shoes/hardware are trashed,idk which but it's usually one of the two if not both.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Ol_blue88 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:52 pm

so i am correct in saying that i shouldnt have any slack in the cables
Ol_blue88
fuel pin?

Postby ellis93 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:55 am

Correct
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Ol_blue88 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:10 pm

I believe i have a bad right rear cable. With the parking brake off this cable doesnt have as much bare wire comming out of the insulation as the left side has. Its causing the piece that connects the 2 cables and the intermediate cable to be slanted (/) instead of vertical (l)
Ol_blue88
fuel pin?

Postby Ol_blue88 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:26 pm

do i sound correct? anyone?
Ol_blue88
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Mine is at an angle too, but it works good. I would pull the drums, then work the cable or pedal and see if it works. With the drum off you can pry the arm back and pull the cable back in. If you leave the drum on it may lock on and then you have a little problem. :oops:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby bmoeller » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:43 pm

The spring on the rear cables will keep it taut. The front cable shouldn't be loose, or actually tight. Just enough to get rid of excessive slack, without actually applying the brake.
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Never tighten the slack without first adjusting up the brakes.
As preventative maintenance, pull the drums, check for thin pads on the rear shoe, if they are questionable, replace the shoes.
The cables should work freely, the self adjuster cables and the adjusters should also be bind-free and not frayed or broken.

A canted cable "splitter" indicates worn parts or mis-adjusted brakes.
In this case, usually a cable (or even brake hardware) is stuck and has worn the brakes down, causing the mis-alignment, but stretched e-brake cables also cause the same symptom.
If it ultimately comes down to stretched cables, replace either one, or both OR, if the stretch isn't so severe as to affect performance, use them as-is.

One of the biggest PITA and the least understood troublemaker is the AUTO BRAKE ADJUSTER FUNCTION!
It's function it to adjust the brakes automatically when the vehicle has rearward motion and the service (foot) brake is applied and is done with or without intentional input.

DESCRIPTION:

This is a system where a cable, one end with a moderate-tensioned spring, the other end with a loop, is routed from an anchor point, where the loop end attaches on one brake shoe.
The cable is then routed through a cable guide, then attached to an adjuster lever, by way of a slot on the adjuster lever catching the loop end of the cable's spring.
The adjuster lever's other end, or "knife", aided by another spring's tension, rests on a notch on an adjuster wheel, also called a "star" wheel, which has numerous teeth that the knife catches.
The adjuster, or "star wheel" assembly consists of a threaded male assembly with an anchor point, which fits into the star wheel's body, which is female threaded.
At the other end of the star wheel assembly is a floating anchor point that the star wheel body rides in.
In essence the "star wheel assembly" is an axle assembly that changes length.

When backing a vehicle up and applying the brake, the brake pads apply to the drum, which rotates the brake pads ever so slightly, this motion is transferred through the cable, pulling on the adjuster lever's "knife" into the star wheel's notches, causing it to spin and since one end is threaded, the assembly actually lengthens, causing the pad assemblies to spread.

Due to the fact the the end of the adjuster cable is attached to the adjuster arm via spring tension from 2 different springs, once a certain amount of tension is realized (The result of the pads contacting the drums), the springs then allows the cable to "slip" the "knife" over the teeth.
This prevents over tightening of the brake pads.

Be sure the adjuster cable is not stretched or frayed. If it is stretched, the lever will ride too low on the star wheel and not catch the teeth, causing it to either not adjust correctly, or allow the adjuster to back off.
The proper place for the adjuster lever is towards the bottom of the star wheel, with the "knife" engaging one of the teeth and spring tension maintaining the knife in that position, with NO SLACK in the adjuster cable.

A hint that the adjuster/cable assembly has gone bad, or worked loose, is constantly having to adjust the brakes MANUALLY to compensate for low pedal feel.

In a properly working self-adjusting drum braking system, you should almost NEVER have to manually adjust the brakes.

Sorry for the rambling on. :oops:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby bmoeller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice write up Mark! :D
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby Ol_blue88 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:44 pm

thanks for the info. upon further inspection i found that the right cable wasnt returning all the way and has worn the shoe down on that side. i guess this explains why the cables werent adjusting evenly and causing so much slack in the front cable
Ol_blue88
fuel pin?

Return to Chassis