power steering

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

power steering

Postby winkgnz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:27 pm

I am have a heck of a time with my steering. I had replaced pump, gear, and pressure hose all with in two weeks and I still have no power steering. I have turned the wheels with the engine off and raised off the ground at least at hundred times, started the truck turned it lock to lock and driven it around to try and bleed the damned thing...what am I doing wrong? I have let it sit for a week now and drove it today, started out great and then no power assist AGAIN! Came home and started the process again for two hours to no results. Anyone have any tricks, tips, or voodoo that may work?
winkgnz
fuel screw!!!!

Re: power steering

Postby CumminsPower59 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:55 am

When I swapped steering gears on mine, I bled the system by having it jacked up, and the engine off, then slowly turned the wheels side to side. Then I would fire the truck up and rev it to about 1500rpms, when you look inside the reservoir, you'll see the fluid level drop immediately when the engine is revved up. I repeated the whole cycle a few times and haven't had an issue since.

Hope this helps you ;)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Sounds like it's getting air in it as it runs. :?

On our Fummins swap, the reservoir rattled loose from the rest of the pump. It's held on with a couple of bolts I think, I can't honestly remember, but we tightened them back up and it started behaving again.

It never got as dramatic as losing assist, but it was very growly and there were lots of bubbles in there.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby cummins32 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:14 pm

I'm having the same exact problem, It's driving me nuts.
Diamond eye 4 inch turbo back, Glowshift boost, egt, oil pressure,hx35 , 3200 rpm spring, full power screw 2 turns, denny T II fuel pin, Home made Cold air intake, Alto reds and tci TC in a 518, 5x12's from diesel auto power.
cummins32
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis