2 piece driveshaft...slip joint

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

2 piece driveshaft...slip joint

Postby greasemonkey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 pm

I've got a few things sloppy on my rear driveshaft, first is the diff U-joint, second, the carrier bearing looks pretty useless in its current state and the slip joint is worn.
I know napa has the U-joint and the carrier bearing, what do I do about the slip joint, though? I haven't cut the crimp-sealed boot on it yet, I was thinking about doing that so I could grease it. I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna be pretty and I probably won't want to put it back together after I see it. So I'm trying to plan ahead a little...can I get new parts or do I have to go find a driveline shop or something??
'93 250 4x4 NV4500, flatbed, club cab, ex brake, pump tweaked, too many new ideas thanks to you guys.
dubbed the "Mexican Mtn Goat"

..if you find yourself in a fair fight you did not properly prepare..
..hot rodders are the original recyclers!..
greasemonkey
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:48 pm

Most likely have to go to a driveline shop. They can put new spline joints on each end of your shaft.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Adding grease won't help. Our drive shafts came with a heavy teflon coating on the spline section. Over the years wear and tear and rust have gotton under the teflon or what ever it is and started flaking it off.

You need a new splined end installed and a new yoke. Any drive line shop should have them in stock.

If you plan on getting the carrier bearing local. Measure the section of shaft it presses onto. There are 2 or 3 different carriers used it depends on what Dodge had in stock on the assy line at the time.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby greasemonkey » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:52 am

Philip wrote: If you plan on getting the carrier bearing local. Measure the section of shaft it presses onto. There are 2 or 3 different carriers used it depends on what Dodge had in stock on the assy line at the time.

effing dodge!!

dodgeparts.com lists a 'slip yoke' for the "rear propeller shaft" but I guess that's probably the yoke that goes into the t-case, huh? well, I'm swapping the U-joint out tomorrow. anyone know how long that splined slip joint lasts after it gets a little slop in it? it's not terrible right now, can only tell there's play if you hold both driveshafts and rotate them opposite, no visual yet.
'93 250 4x4 NV4500, flatbed, club cab, ex brake, pump tweaked, too many new ideas thanks to you guys.
dubbed the "Mexican Mtn Goat"

..if you find yourself in a fair fight you did not properly prepare..
..hot rodders are the original recyclers!..
greasemonkey
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis