D70 axle spindle threads boogered up

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby bgilbert » Sun May 18, 2008 9:19 pm

BEARKILLER wrote:Are you afraid the nuts might jump over the threads; or, are you afraid they will simply loosen ??

With that folding-tab lock-washer, they can't go anywhere, unless they jump the threads.

I wouldn't be welding if all I was afraid of was them loosening.

WELL.... after giving it more time with the file and working two old style nuts back and forth on the spindle, I felt they were holding tight enough to where they wouldn't jump the threads and I wouldn't have to try the weld job (at this time). Got it back together with two thin nuts and the folding tab washer. The outer nut is on there TIGHT. The threads seem to be real good there. I think this is fixed, I hope. I'm gonna drive it more this week and the week before the trip to Indy. Then before Indy I will pull the duals off and check for any end play. If there is, time for the welder.

I don't want to speak too soon, but if it works, thanks to all who helped and to Bearkiller for the suggestion of the two old style nuts. I did have to modify my 2 9/16" KD Tool socket to fit over them, but that was no biggie. They are a hair tougher than the nylock nut, but that spindle is tougher than both :x .

Note to self and others with older D60's they plan to scrap: Remove axle shafts and keep the old style double nut setups 8) .
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby BEARKILLER » Mon May 19, 2008 12:00 am

Always the pessimist :;-|: , I dug this up anyway :

http://www.axleandspindlerepair.com/mobile.html

Glad you got it fixed and seem to be confident that it will hold.
MY TRUCK = 1985 FORD F-350 2wd, 89 1st.Gen.Cummins,Getrag 5-sp,Dana70 3:55

WIFE'S TRUCK = 1991.5 D-250 I/C, Auto

SON'S TRUCK = 1990 W-250 Getrag

#4 = 1991 D-350 LE Getrag
BEARKILLER
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dieseltrain » Mon May 19, 2008 3:59 pm

hey, i repaired mine last year, had a simular sinereo. i believe the thread die was a 2"-16nf. this worked much better than a thread chaser or definately better than a thread file. the die reshaped the threads intead of trying to cut new ones, which leaves less material. ;-)
w250 518 auto, honed injectors, otherwise stock for now.
dieseltrain
fuel pin?

Previous

Return to Chassis