47RH swap FINALLY

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: 47RH swap FINALLY

Postby cmann250 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:44 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:That's what I was thinking was needed. I just want the lockup convertor to help with mileage.

I'll post up some milage numbers when i get some fuel run through it.

Just FYI, it is possible to make the 518 lock up. It came up earlier in this thread... but you'd still need a converter, block plate, and flexplate
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:05 pm

Yeah I've saw that a few times on here.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:30 pm

A few more notes here:
-The shifter linkage doesn't need to be moved back to compensate for the 1" thicker block plate. I can get it into every gear, i'll drive it a bit to see if it's 100% ok. It's about 50/50 on people that say move it back or leave it alone
-The dipstick tube fits after a bit of massaging to clear the firewall, but i suspect it won't be accurate
txs wrote:You need the driveshaft out of second gen 2x diesel truck

Today's lesson in humility: Read carefully and listen to the experts :oops:
-I got a 2nd gen 4x4 driveshaft off a buddy and it didn't work. I fought it for 2 days and then it occured to me that by "2x" he meant 2wd. Sorry Tom :oops:

I'll edit some of my above posts, as i'm guilty of spreading misinformation

All i have left to do is find a drive shaft, modify the trans mount, and wire it up :jumpsmile:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Notes involving the trans mount (2wd 727 specific):
Everything i read and had seen about a 47RH swap was in a 4x4 or A518 truck, the only 47RH swap into a 2wd 727 truck was JQmile, that i can think of. He used a GM TH350 trans mount. I have no idea what that looks like, lol sooo.... My 47RH just happened to come with the 2nd gen trans mount, so i modified it (bent the tabs on the front down) and used it with my modified stock cross-member (in stock posisition). I drilled new holes in the cross member and used vibration insulators.

On wiring: The center wire on the 3 pin connector is hot,the front wire is the overdrive ground, and the rear wire is the converter lock-up ground
Last edited by cmann250 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Are you just wiring yours up to switches? I have OD on my 518 wired to a old school floor dimmer switch right now. It works fine. I plan on using that for convertor lockup when I convert to 47RH later.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:23 am

Yep i'm wiring them to 2 toggle switches on the dash by my left knee. I definately want to be able to control lock-up manually and O/D may come in handy to split gears. I haul hay wagons all summer and it would be really nice to find the perfect speed and and rpm to haul wagons

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Bringing this thread back from the dead...
I'm getting a driveshaft made this week, so i hope to have my pile back on the road soon. I ended up getting a slip yoke from PATC, the same place i got my 3 pin connector from. It was $135, which beat $200 from Dodge.

I now theorize that the dipstick will be in the ballpark as far as accuracy because it measures the fluid level and the cases and pans on the 727 and 47RH are darn similar. Now i think it will take more fluid to get to the same level. I'll get a final answer to that in a few days.

My biggest piece of advice from all this is find all your parts first. If you are going from a 727 to a 47RH in a 2wd truck, find a drive shaft or a yoke before you even think about starting. There is more than one solution to that issue, but be sure of what you are doing before you dive in head first as i did and then it takes a month to complete the swap. If you have any questions, just ask. Now that i've done the swap, i have a fairly good grasp of the ins and outs. There are several other people on this site that are fairly knowlegeable too.

Finally, my thank you's
PToombs, txs, smokinfirstgen (Derek), and David (my not-diesel-yet friend)
Pete and Tom provided helpful advice on the net and some in person along the way
Derek, David, and I actually undertook the swap. Derek donated the brains, David the shop, and I did what i could :lol:
A big thanks to all! Hopefully my next post will be of some fuel economy results

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Wow, usually I get blamed when siht goes wrong! :shock: I'm not used to this! ;)
Glad I could be of help, I've actually been trying to be more helpfull lately, and less smartass. It's not as much fun though! :mrgreen:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Well........ I got it back on the road. Kind of.

I have something going on in the wiring. I put it in Drive and 1st is fine. The next shift is Lock-up, O/D, and 2nd all at the same time, i think. It speeds up alot and shakes like crazy. I think the increased speed is due to the shift up and O/D hitting and the shaking is due to the converter locking. I let off the go pedal as soon as the crazy shift hits and it keeps on trucking at idle, although it's really rough.

How i wired it: center wire from trans straight to (+) side of battery, the other two go from the trans, through separate switches and to the same ground on the intake plate that the grid heater grounds on.

I tried running with one switch thrown, then the other, both what i thought was on, both off. The switches did nothing. I unhooked the 3 pin connector and 1-2-3 works fine

I will be the FIRST to admit wiring is not my friend. If that schematic is correct, I could have easily hooked up wires wrong somewhere

A huge thank you in advance to who ever helps me out here, i'm more clueless than usual on this :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:55 pm

Sounds like you were grounding out both switches engaging od and lockup as soon as you hit 2nd like you were saying. I just have my od switch grounded to the cab.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:18 pm

I can ground them out at the same place right? Why arent the switches changing anything? Could it be shorting out somewhere? I'm so confused :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:40 am

How do you have the switches and everything wired? Should be power straight to the middle wire. Then the other wire should come off the plug to the one side of your switch and then another wire coming out of the switch to a good ground. I've seen bad switches act like that.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:10 pm

It turns out both the switches were grounding on something behind the dash. I tried to stuff them up in there so they were easy to reach. That back fired.

I've been driving it all day and it's SOOOOO much better than the 727! The 3.07's in the rearend make for some good sized gaps, but the fuel economy should be awesome. Overall i'm veery happy with it, but i have to figure out the speedometer.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Glad ya got it working.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:14 pm

cmann250 wrote:Overall i'm veery happy with it, but i have to figure out the speedometer.

Don't forget to nab the speedo gear out of your 727 BEFORE you sell it!
It'll help a lot in getting the speedo working properly.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission