Locking down the TV shaft in WFO

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Locking down the TV shaft in WFO

Postby Begle1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:39 pm

So it seems like while I have my transmission out, it'd be a good time to figure out a better way to hold my TV valve in the wide open position than a small pair of vise grips safety wired to the return line.

That long bolt with the blue Loctite(?) on it in the middle of the picture doesn't seem to be doing anything but limiting the extreme travel of the TV shaft.

Would it be stupid to stack some washers under it and tighten it down to hold the shaft where I want it?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Re: Locking down the TV shaft in WFO

Postby turboram » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Some vb builders just tighten the bolt down, so I dont see a problem as long as the washers dont interfere with anything
turboram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:50 pm

I'd much rather just tighten the bolt down. I just wasn't sure if it'd go far enough on its own.

Thanks again. You guys are saving me at least a thousand bucks here.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Brad Ponci made a break over center tv arm for the transmission end I believe. I stumbled across the conversation a year ago. It seems the tv cable doesn't bring the line pressure up in consistancy with the power increase. I acctually cut the square hole part of the tv bracket on the trans. Rewelded it farther advanced to give me more line pressure, and sooner. I know your smart enough to figure a fulcrum arm like Ponci did. It would be nice for cruising shifts and aggressive ones as well. I was just in a hurry and modded my braket. Jqmile messed around with some plexy glass/lexon braket to better time his shifts if I remember correctly. What all is done to you valvebody as far as a improver kit. Try upping your line pressure if you haven't done so yet.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 pm

I don't know what's done to it. It's what Suncoast gave me when I asked for a forward-pattern manual valve body with engine braking.

I forget what happened to my original TV bracket/ linkage assembly. I think I lost it off after I put the manual valve body in the original transmission, thinking it didn't serve a purpose anymore.

It'd be cool to hook it up to my original column shifter.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:13 pm

That's right! We talked about your manual vb. If its a manual valve body you might as well ziptie the tv arm all the way back. You shift gears when YOU want to.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission