How about a new transmission install thread from a newbie?

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: How about a new transmission install thread from a newbie?

Postby classiccarjack » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:06 am

I sanded the flex plate and the Flex plate coupler at the mating surfaces, to insure a good clean fit. I used very fine sand paper to not remove anything I shouldn't. after that I cleaned off the bell housing mating area on the adapter, and the bell housing on the transmission. I torqued the adapter to 105 Ft. Lbs. and the flex plate to the crankshaft at 100 Ft. Lbs. The 2003 manual I have, which has NO TORQUE TABLE OR INDEX in it, stated that the adapter is 57 Ft. Lbs. and the flex plate at the crank is 101 Ft. Lbs. The adapter bolts were way more than 57 Ft. Lbs., when I removed them(my impact couldn't remove them, and I had to use my breaker bar), so I went with 100 Ft. Lbs. , it felt right to me. I used loctite on all the bolts....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby classiccarjack » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:21 am

I would like to post more tonight, but it appears that I have reached my quota.... I will try to post more later if I can.

I hope this will be helpful for some of you guys out there, so far the process has been easier than most of the things I have had to do for other people.

I also have some floor clearance issues between the bell Housing and the body molding area where the floor is spot welded to the firewall. Being that this is my rig, I will just bend these areas down for the necessary clearance that I will need. The dipstick tube was tight, but I managed to use the one out of the A518 after a minor bend.
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby classiccarjack » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:22 pm

I will have to start a second thread to allow more pictures.
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:33 am

classiccarjack wrote:I will have to start a second thread to allow more pictures.

You'll need a photobucket account ,or some other image host,to post pics here. Dazedandconfused has a how-to in his sig that tells you how.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 am

ellis93 wrote:
classiccarjack wrote:I will have to start a second thread to allow more pictures.

You'll need a photobucket account ,or some other image host,to post pics here. Dazedandconfused has a how-to in his sig that tells you how.

This^^

You've been posting your pictures by way of "Attachments". This basically has the forum server host the pics. We can't afford a lot of that. ;)

As mentioned above, you're gonna need to fine another way to have your pics hosted. See here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13518
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby classiccarjack » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 am

ellis93 wrote:

Is there a way that isn't intrusive to your pictures? I opened one of these accounts in the past, and I noticed that my family photos were put up for the world to see. Thank God it wasn't anything I couldn't live with, but still, I felt my privacy was invaded a bit.
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby classiccarjack » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:22 am

BC847 wrote:
ellis93 wrote:

This^^

You've been posting your pictures by way of "Attachments". This basically has the forum server host the pics. We can't afford a lot of that. ;)

As mentioned above, you're gonna need to fine another way to have your pics hosted. See here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13518

Thanks, I am open for suggestions, I just have no idea who to use that doesn't copy all of your pictures from your computer. If there is a way to use a account like this, that allows me to set up a folder, then I would be okay with that. My wife probably doesn't want our family photos out for the world to see. Especially with our 7 month old baby.
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:47 am

The only pictures that end up on photo bucket are the ones you select to upload.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby classiccarjack » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:43 am

dazedandconfused wrote:The only pictures that end up on photo bucket are the ones you select to upload.

Okay, I will check them out. Thank you.
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby classiccarjack » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:10 am

I just signed up for a Photo bucket account. I will give it a whirl! :)
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:38 pm

If you have a smart phone they have a app that makes it very easy to upload pics off your phone.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby classiccarjack » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:50 pm

I am finally going to get to work on the dually today. The past weeks weather and myself going under the weather have stopped progress. Today I hope to pour in fluid and fire the beast up!

That is after I figure out transmission cooler lines and the shift linkage and last but not least... Giving the truck the shaft to get things turning. Wish me luck!
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby classiccarjack » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:25 pm

I am going to have to get back to this a little bit later when I get the photo bucket figured out....

The truck is running, however, I think my TPS needs some fine tuning. Sorry for lagging here, my daytime job has been a bit overwhelming in the last two weeks.
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby classiccarjack » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Sorry for lagging... I have been really busy and away from the computer for awhile.
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby classiccarjack » Sun May 17, 2015 1:48 pm

Bump.... I hope to get time to figure out photo bucket to continue
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission