Flex Plate Options

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Flex Plate Options

Postby Begle1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:58 pm

ATS and BD make billet flexplates that we know won't fit on non-lock-up trucks.

Suncoast makes a laminated flexplate that is twice as thick as an OEM flexplate that fits on 94-and-ups, but they don't know whether it will fit on non-lock-ups. Anybody with experience on our flexplate clearance issues think it would or wouldn't fit?

When it comes to flexplates that we know will fit our trucks, we have OEM 2nd gen flexplates and a bunch of places selling "SFI-Approved, 1983-2001, 30% thicker than stock" flexplates.
Like what PATCsells.

So those 30%-thicker flexplates the best we have available, aren't they? Is there any other option?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby charger 69 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:34 pm

I got mine from cummins but I don't know if it is any better than a stock plate but I fugure its one less thing to break.
92 White D350 132K,mi. fuel screw in 3,5 turns automatic with a Hughes converter and 26K add on cooler.Aluminum wheels,second fuel tank,gooseneck hitch,air bags tach.and gages,
charger 69
fuel screw!!!!

Postby SNOOT » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 pm

Begle1

I have been using a SFI flex plate now for 4 years. Just this past year I took my stock tranny out and replaced it with a fully built unit.

After close inspection I did not find any problems with the flex plate. I did however find a ballooned TQ converter.

I purchased the flex plate from PDR but see that they do not offer it anymore. You may call them and see if they have any left. I kinda remember paying around $200 for it.

Here are a few pictures from when we did my tranny swap several months ago so you can see what it looks like.

It is much thicker than the stock one. It was for a 2nd gen model but bolted right up and gave me no clearance issues.

1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:15 pm

I'm running a Georend flexplate, it fits fine and it twice the thickness of stock. I think this style is the best, i cant ever seeing me breaking it. and it was cheaper then most of the guys out there.

As a side note, A&A transmissions, now has a billeted intermediate shaft for the A518 trans.
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission