Building a 47RH Advice Needed.

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Building a 47RH Advice Needed.

Postby CumminsPride » Mon May 26, 2008 9:52 am

Just built my first NV4500 on the bench this weekend. Now my confidence is up and I am going to tackle a full build on my 47rh I put in my 91. So where is the best how to guide availabe on the web? I don't care if I have to buy it either. But we are looking to use this kit

#K47. Fits 1994 - Dodge diesel 47RH / Alto Red Eagle master rebuild kit with a direct 5 clutch Power Pack and Kolene steels, rigid Carbon fiber intermediate band, Fairbanks TransAction kit, billet triple clutch torque converter (#8DXX), performance 3-4 accumulator spring, heavy duty Sonnax low / reverse servo, Sonnax heavy duty / no leak intermediate servo cover, Mopar 5 to 1 ratio intermediate servo band lever, full time torque converter fluid feed valve, Mega Spring for more holding power in 1st - 2nd and 3rd, Superior heavy duty intermediate band apply strut.

Found here. Any other recommendations please inform me be before I buy.

http://www.eatmyshifts.com/eatmyshifts_combo.htm
06 3500 AT Mega Cab SRW 4X4
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPride » Mon May 26, 2008 9:57 am

Oh and any job specific tools I should get before I start?
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Postby sdstriper » Mon May 26, 2008 11:20 am

Your going to need the OD spring compressor tool. 800 ft/lbs on that spring. Retainer ring pliers, calipers and a fair set of mechanic tools should do the trick. Get yourself an ATSG rebuild manual for under $20.
1989 D250, 727, 3.07, BHAF, 4" exhaust, Usual Suspect Gauges, tuned VE, OSPP
sdstriper
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPride » Mon May 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Any sources? And are the tranny specific tools? Thanks for the tips.
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Postby sdstriper » Mon May 26, 2008 6:26 pm

That same outfit you linked to (PATC) has the spring compressor and yes it is Chrysler OD spring compressor, tranny specific. Just about any transmission shop has it, might be able to rent it for an evening. By the book there are many transmission specific tools mentioned to use. After reading enough how-to's and talking to people and doing a couple there are ways around most all of the special tools required except that OD spring and maybe the bushings if they were bad and needing replacement. You could have a transmission shop replace the bushings if necessary. For what it's worth, many do not replace them if they look good.

Save yourself some money on a kit, shop around. Spend the extra on the aftermarket goodies you listed but shop around for them too. And consider a Georand Bros. Converter. You can talk to Dave about which clutch converter is best for your HP etc. Might save yourself some money there too. Not everyone needs a triple disk converter.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merch ... _Code=A518

http://www.goerend.com/
1989 D250, 727, 3.07, BHAF, 4" exhaust, Usual Suspect Gauges, tuned VE, OSPP
sdstriper
fuel screw!!!!

Postby SNOOT » Tue May 27, 2008 10:56 am

Here is the info on my new tranny..
Here is a general description of the tranny.
Performance modified valve body, O/D solenoid, billet reverse servo, sprags, Torrington bearing kit, thrust washers, bushing kit, borg warner friction plates, steel plate module, raybestos bands, gaskets seals and sealing rings, reuseable no leak pan gasket and filter.

Some of the good stuff..

1) Five disk billet steel high clutch drum
2) 47RE/48RE gear train complete w/ overdrive
3) 4.0 billet lever and heavy duty band strut
4) 518 heavy duty 300M output shaft
5) 518 heavy duty 4140 HTSR non lock up shaft W/hub
6) Billet accumulator piston zero leak
7) Billet intermediate servo assembly
8) Billet output shaft/OD piston support
9) Kevlar solid wrap extreme duty band
10) Goerend converter
11) Deep tranny pan
12) 12 month 12,000 mile warranty

Here are some of the pictures of the parts.

I can tell you this.. I was getting real bad MPG like 11 mpg. I had my old tranny rebuilt 3 years ago. I figured the abuse of 3 years had just done it in and I needed a new one.

Guess what I found... A ballooned torque converter. In fact it had just about taken out my pump and front seal. The rest of my old tranny looked pretty good inside.
The new tranny has me at 18MPG already around town and I have turbo lag again so its holding very well.

I cant wait to blow a full tank on the highway to see how well it is mpg.
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby SNOOT » Tue May 27, 2008 11:02 am

More pictures
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby mprmn08 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:15 am

wow shiny. :thumleft: i want one :notfair:
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission