got the 727 out...

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

got the 727 out...

Postby RSWORDS » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:35 am

Well I was driving around in the 89 today and heard a funny noise... Pulled over and noticed this had fallen out. Guess I'll go ahead and put some fresh stuff in it while its out.

Got me some Juice...

Got the Goerend Converter on the way and lots of Hi-Performance internals waiting to go in... Reverse manual VB coming too.

I'll let you know how it goes!!!
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby aspoonhour » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:02 pm

That's funny...Same thing happen to my '89 CTD Ramcharger, in November. Lot's of fun stuff in there...Mine is still strewn out all over the garage. I haven't done much of anything to it. Trying to decide what to do with the overrunning clutch in it. Everything I read seems to make it out to be a pretty fussy thing. I've been thinking about upgrading it, but the good ones aren't cheap.

Keep us posted. I'd like to see how it goes. Have you built one before?

Andrew
1991 W-250, auto w/ O.D. 134k. Intercooled. 16cm exhaust housing. 3k gov spring. Little more fuel, little bit of timing...
aspoonhour
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RSWORDS » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:15 pm

aspoonhour wrote:That's funny...Same thing happen to my '89 CTD Ramcharger, in November. Lot's of fun stuff in there...Mine is still strewn out all over the garage. I haven't done much of anything to it. Trying to decide what to do with the overrunning clutch in it. Everything I read seems to make it out to be a pretty fussy thing. I've been thinking about upgrading it, but the good ones aren't cheap.

Keep us posted. I'd like to see how it goes. Have you built one before?

Andrew

I have a buddy that builds 727's for drag cars/trucks doing the work. Should be done this week.
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby RSWORDS » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:27 am

My buddy started tearing into it today...

Think its been a little warm and slipping?

thrust washer ate up BAD...
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby RSWORDS » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:13 pm

And some bling showed up today!

Goerend Bros w/ 1200 stall!
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby mprmn08 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:52 pm

wow those clutches look brand new :bs: good thing it came out huh?
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:45 pm

I don't think the clutches look bad at all. They're just a little dark. If they were cooked, they'd be blue. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby aspoonhour » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:45 pm

RS...Thanks for the pics!

Special request, if possible? Rear sprag(over running clutch)...Are you going to have it upgraded? I'd really like to know what your friend recommended.

A&A trans. had one(bolt-in super sprag) on their site, but told me that it would not work. Not sure why the O.C. thingy has me so freaked out. The rest seems fairly straight forward if someone is doing a basic build with minor upgrades.

Thanks!!!
Andrew
1991 W-250, auto w/ O.D. 134k. Intercooled. 16cm exhaust housing. 3k gov spring. Little more fuel, little bit of timing...
aspoonhour
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mprmn08 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:42 pm

ya i guess your right pete its not to bad. but did you see the hot spots on the steels?
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby RSWORDS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 pm

aspoonhour wrote:RS...Thanks for the pics!

Special request, if possible? Rear sprag(over running clutch)...Are you going to have it upgraded? I'd really like to know what your friend recommended.

A&A trans. had one(bolt-in super sprag) on their site, but told me that it would not work. Not sure why the O.C. thingy has me so freaked out. The rest seems fairly straight forward if someone is doing a basic build with minor upgrades.

Thanks!!!
Andrew

I'm not even touching the tranny aside from pulling it out and putting it in. The pics are what my buddy sent by his phone. Don't know about the rear sprag. Any info on what to upgrade too and why?
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby aspoonhour » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm not 100% sure about the rear sprag. I've done some research, but haven't found any definitive info. I did read that without it, the front drum could spins, something along the lines of 5 times faster than the engine RPM. For "us" and the CTD, it my not be as big of a concern, but even 15k RPM inside of these transmissions doesn't sound good. I was hoping someone would pop in and talk about it a little.

On my 727, the output shaft support is worn and the aluminum is galled in such a way that it almost looks as though IF there was enough wear on the rear sprag, I could see the rear drum causing the galling.

Tough to see in the pic, but it is not in great shape. I did find a replacement. No idea how long it been this way.

Maybe too much play in the rollers and springs? I'm not sure, but my TF727 book does say that any wear on the rollers and springs should be reason to replace the components. Mine didn't LOOK terrible, but that would be tough to tell.

The rest of my trans didn't look to be in bad shape. It was just slipping fairly bad and there was a vibration when accelerating. I originally thought that it might be driveshafts, but the vibe happened at lower RPM's and now that I've seen what I have, I suspect that this might be, at least, SOME of the trouble. Maybe not, but the output shaft support is not right.

I'd bet that your friend would be VERY aware of these issues and take care of them, but for someone taking a trans to a local shop, I'd wonder how many builders pay attention to this. My $.02.

Thanks!
Andrew
aspoonhour
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RSWORDS » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:45 am

I talked to him last night about this. He told me its a crap shoot :D

I asked if he would upgrade and he has said he has never seen one let go himself but he has heard of them failing. He said he never had a problem in any of his tranys and they were/are in 8 second cars/trucks. He kinda left it up to me. :D

Another question... he has a 5.0 apply lever. To much? I've read on gasser forums that it sometimes will drag the band when shiffting into 3rd.
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:32 pm

I think KTA said in another post not to do it. I read it someplace in the week or so. Just can't quite remember where though. :oops:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Richie O » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Pete is right. I read that also.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby RSWORDS » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:37 pm

PToombs wrote:I think KTA said in another post not to do it. I read it someplace in the week or so. Just can't quite remember where though. :oops:

Yeah we are putting in a 4.2
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Transmission