Fusable Link To Fuses

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Fusable Link To Fuses

Postby RSWORDS » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Well getting ready to jump head first into switching my fusable links over to fuses. From all my reading this is what I have came up with for fusable link gauge to amp rating... Anyone confirm or deny this? The ratings just seem high to me (except the alternator)...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Re: Fusable Link To Fuses

Postby PToombs » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:24 pm

IIRC, the fuse rating is higher than you think it would be. I read somewhere (i think here) that somebody found a chart listing the fuseable links vs. fuse size. Pretty sure there was a link off site to the chart too.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby RSWORDS » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:26 pm

PToombs wrote:IIRC, the fuse rating is higher than you think it would be. I read somewhere (i think here) that somebody found a chart listing the fuseable links vs. fuse size. Pretty sure there was a link off site to the chart too.

Thats were I found these... Some list. Not alot out there as far as ratings for fusable links. So you think its even higher then what I have above?
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Not sure Bobby, I had to look again at your chart to figure where you're at. I don't think I'd go higher, you can always put in a bigger fuse, but replacing burnt wires will really suck. If anything, I'd go a little smaller to begin with.

If that green one feeds the alternator, it should be about 120. Pretty sure that's what my '97 has in it for a fuse. Most of the rest are 40's and 60's, so I'd say you're pretty close there.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby RSWORDS » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:08 pm

Cool, thanks for the help Pete.

Now to just find a fuse block that will hold the larger fuses....
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby ekk33 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Here is what i did ,
Out of a 96 vintage chevy,
You get the big fuses, spaces for relays, and small fuses,
1992 W250
Cooler Tubz, PS Intercooler
Pump Mods,3200 Spring,
ekk33
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RSWORDS » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Well this week I got it figured out... As with all my projects, especially the ones that you need to do alot of head scratching because there is no set way or bolt on kit to do it, I suggest you grab a couple of your favorite adult beverages first. Make life easier, I suggest...

But that's just me.

So here it goes, I used two distribution blocks for car stereo amps for all the circuits except the alternator, its to high an amperage. The blocks are rated WELL over what I will pull and use standard Maxi fuses, these fuse look just like the spade fuses your used to seeing but are about 2-3 times as big. I used three 40 amp fuses and one 60 amp fuse. Also got a fused power distribution block off a 98-01 Blazer/Jimmy for the alternator circuit. It has a 175 amp fuse now because the parts store was out of both 125amp and 150amp.

I run a dual post Optima Red Top so the factory cable for the starter goes to the top post just like the factory set-up. Then I have a 4ga cable running from the side post to the distribution block/fuse. Then off that I ran two 4ga cables up stream of the fuse to the distribution blocks for the fusible links. you can get these blocks with a one cable in four out which would be better but all the stores around me had were the one in two out so I just bought two. After they go through the fuse I used some 10 gauge wire to connect them to the respected circuit. I needed to solder a terminal ring on the alternator wire to attach it to the distribution block.

Here you can see what I started with, you will notice I removed the grid heater relays. I have not had a grid heater in a long time so they were not needed but they do not have to be removed by any means, you will just have to put your blocks somewhere else. Note the fusable link pigtail that I circled in red, this is what we are removing.

Here is the pigtail for the fusable links and the approximate amp rating for them.

Here it all wired up. The cable coming in from the left is from the battery. The heavy cable on the right is out to the alternator, The thinner one to my fuel pump relay.

Here you can see what it looked like all said and done... So far so good! Everything works! I have a little bit more clean up to do to make it pretty. Ran out of gas in my little butane torch so I still need to shrink dome of the connectors and I need some more of the black plastic protection stuff... I also need to add some shrink tubing to the cables going into the first distribution block and out of it. Just need to cover up some of the metal that's outside of the cover, don't want anything falling on it and causing a short.
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:28 pm

I like it! Nice and clean, not a lot of extra crap all over. Good job Bobby! 8)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Richie O » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:33 pm

PToombs wrote:I like it! Nice and clean, not a lot of extra crap all over. Good job Bobby! 8)

Don't tell him that, his head will swell. :mrgreen:

Looks like it will work well and does look good. So far I have been lucky with all 3 of my trucks and not had the big SMOKE issue yet. Gotta love the dodge wiring. :roll:
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby RSWORDS » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:29 pm

Thanks guys, that means alot coming from you two.

And Richie just ask my wife... My head cant get any bigger... plus I already buy the largest size hats... :lol:
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby cougar » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:14 am

RSWORDS wrote:Thanks guys, that means alot coming from you two.

And Richie just ask my wife... My head cant get any bigger... plus I already buy the largest size hats... :lol:

They only told you that cause they thought they would get free beer.
Good job, I like seeing clean tidy installs like that.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby RSWORDS » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:49 pm

So I blew a fuse yesterday.....

Same circuit I blew to start this whole mess... Well after I replaced the fuse I started looking for the problem. Come to find out the wire going to the shut off solenoid had chaffed off and some grease/oil/underhood crap on it didn't allow me to see it. Well it would shirt out against the throttle bracket and short out the circuit.... Just a heads up!!!
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:34 pm

So now that you found the original problem are you going to pull that new crap out and put the fusable links back in?

:jumpsmile:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby RSWORDS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:12 pm

PToombs wrote:So now that you found the original problem are you going to pull that new crap out and put the fusable links back in?

:jumpsmile:

yep....

nope.... :jumpsmile:

I've been wanting to do this for a while now and that just pushed me over the edge...
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:01 pm

:lol: :lol:
I need to add a 2nd fuse/relay box for all my extra crap. I have 1 from a jeep, but I like how yours looks better. I'll have to find me a 2nd gen one.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Electrical