removing roof skin

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

removing roof skin

Postby DodgeFreak » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:49 pm

Has anyone ever removed the upper roof skin and drip rail? My crew has some good rust going on and I'm thinking about removing the whole top and taking care of the inside and replacing the bad sections with the ex cab skin I have. Everything looks pretty straight forward until I get to the rear and I'm not sure how they pieced it together.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Re: removing roof skin

Postby lz69 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:38 am

Here's a pretty good link with some good pictures of what is involved. I remember reading that the crew cabs and regular cabs are a bit different and you might want to find a regular cab donor.

http://ramchargercentral.com/projects/dodge-pickup-rusted-roof-replacement/
lz69
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:43 pm

the roof lines of the crew and reg cabs are different but the excab share the same roof. I'm still not sure how he took the rear apart, I do see he cut across the rear on the inside... I'm going to just have to get started on it one of theses days.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby ataac_flat04 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:13 pm

They spot welded the outer rear cab wall to the outer roof skin, then welded that as an assembly to the inner cab panels. There's a pinch weld seam that you can't get to from the outside. When I did mine, I cut all the spot welds I could reach from the outside, then tilted the outer roof skin up to get to the front drip edge layers to replace. Left the roof skin attached at the rear of the cab, propped a couple of 2X4's under the front to be able to work under it. About 150 spot welds to cut and re-weld. HTH's -Chuck
ataac_flat04
smoke screw?

Return to Body