87 Chevy crewcab dually swap

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

87 Chevy crewcab dually swap

Postby TEXAS_OUTLAW » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:12 am

Hey guys well this is my first swap. I got a 93 single cab 5 speed np205 ! I love the truck but it really has frame issues so I decided to part it out . I bought today a 1987 tbi 454 gasser clean truck ! Also 4x4 and it's crew cab !!! I'll take pics as I go along !! But I do have questions . 1 . Since its tbi how to I tackle getting rib of the return less fuel systems and make it return and get ride of the fuel pump in the tank ? 2. It's also hydro boost so how will I hook up that to a powersterringbon the dodge . 3 wiring !! Any one have anything that I could use to draw out and see where I could go and to to be able to use the grid hearters and use the key to start it .and converting it to 5 speed ! I know that I need a clutch pedal assembly but can I use Chevy master cyc and a dodge slave cyc ? And I'm going to use auto world ac and alter outs and engine mouts !! But not the cheapest I guess but send to save a lot of head achs .. So I think that's all I have for now I'm in my phone posting this so I'll get on the comp and post pics of the trucks tomorrow
2008 2500 6 speed 4x4 : EFI LIVE ,South bend dual disc , 4 in to 6 in stack egr and dpf got stolen
1993 w250 5 speed 4x4 : under DEconstrution
1987 k30 4x4 crew cab dually : under construction
TEXAS_OUTLAW
fuel pin?

Re: 87 Chevy crewcab dually swap

Postby ellis93 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:01 am

If its genuine GM tbi then it has a return, add should be two lines off the back of it. Since you'll have to drop the tank anyhow to get rid of the fuel pump why not look into some sort of draw straw or something. I'd bypass the dinky GM fuel lines for one other reason, they have rubber flex joints where they jump from frame to bell housing that will more than likely swell up as its not rated for diesel.

As for the hydroboost connection, you can T the two returns together off the truck into the one on your engine. Read where most have without problem.

Look in the electrical section here,I posted up the wiring diagrams for the 93's a while back
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:10 am

Tbi runs about 15 psi so that is a good pressure if you want to use it as a lift pump. Good luck!
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:13 am

oldestof11 wrote:Tbi runs about 15 psi so that is a good pressure if you want to use it as a lift pump. Good luck!

Wont live long,BTDT. Even Chevy uses an external frame mounted pump on there diesels.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby TEXAS_OUTLAW » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:12 am

ellis93 wrote:If its genuine GM tbi then it has a return, add should be two lines off the back of it. Since you'll have to drop the tank anyhow to get rid of the fuel pump why not look into some sort of draw straw or something. I'd bypass the dinky GM fuel lines for one other reason, they have rubber flex joints where they jump from frame to bell housing that will more than likely swell up as its not rated for diesel.

As for the hydroboost connection, you can T the two returns together off the truck into the one on your engine. Read where most have without problem.

Look in the electrical section here,I posted up the wiring diagrams for the 93's a while back

Ok cool that's Ellis ! And yea it's a geniuine ! Tbi ! Ok so you think thatif I used the stock fuel lines from the Chevy the rubber will swell ? Look at them today most look like steel ! It has saddle tanks and I'd really like to use them both ! And yea I'm going to pull the engine and work on fuel first ! And when I get it on there I won't have that issue trying to work around a tranny too !! Lol ! And I saw the post a while back also ! But I was wondering if any one had done this before post something that they did . Inknow the wires to keep te dodge running but the alternator issue I'm not to sure about really neater but the diesel stop vid help me a litte last night . Ok !! 2 returns one hose Awsome ! ok ! Check that off my note pad !! Lol nothing on the clutch ? Or sounds pretty good ? Lol
2008 2500 6 speed 4x4 : EFI LIVE ,South bend dual disc , 4 in to 6 in stack egr and dpf got stolen
TEXAS_OUTLAW
fuel pin?

Postby ellis93 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:14 am

IDK anything about the hydros for the clutch.

Look under the truck at the cross member in between the two tanks,there will be six pieces of rubber hose(3on each side) if you keep your factory lines you'll need to replace them with oil rated line. Trans cooler hose,power steering return hose works good,either one wont swell when diesel meets them. Id take the pumps,yes there's two,one in each tank, out of the tanks and splice in a piece of tubing in place of the pumps. I'd use a compression union to do so. Then you'd be good,the tank selector should work fine in the diesel,least they have in the past for me.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby TEXAS_OUTLAW » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 am

ellis93 wrote:IDK anything about the hydros for the clutch.

Look under the truck at the cross member in between the two tanks,there will be six pieces of rubber hose(3on each side) if you keep your factory lines you'll need to replace them with oil rated line. Trans cooler hose,power steering return hose works good,either one wont swell when diesel meets them. Id take the pumps,yes there's two,one in each tank, out of the tanks and splice in a piece of tubing in place of the pumps. I'd use a compression union to do so. Then you'd be good,the tank selector should work fine in the diesel,least they have in the past for me.

Thanks man !! For the help ! I think this will solve my fuel problem ! Trying to build as much as I can on paper before I start do that I know what I'm doing and trying to not run in to speed bumps as much as possable ! Do you have a pic of the fuel pump that you converted ? I just would like to see it ! I tryed looking for a pic and couldn't find one. Ok lol yea I don't know anything to much neather and the hydros on the clutch !
TEXAS_OUTLAW
fuel pin?

Postby ellis93 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Pics? No I don't have any pics of it. It'll be simple to figure out. There's a hoop at the bottom of the hanger that cradles the bottom of the pump,you'll end your tubing inside it going no farther. That will keep it close to the bottom of the tank without the fear of it sucking to it. Piece of cake
ellis93
14mm rotor

Return to Conversions & Builds