Hacksters Crew Cab Cummins 5 speed swap

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Hacksters Crew Cab Cummins 5 speed swap

Postby RumbleFish » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Looks awesome. 78 grille is more prettier tho ; )
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks, For the most part nothing has been that hard so far. Fixed the wiring issue so all the guages work all the time, just need to work on some dash lights now.

Not a lot of progress today but I was able to get the seats in. Not 100% sure on the position cause they are a little bit high but super comfortable and I can see out of the truck really well.

Seats are awesome. Absolutley no comparison to the corbeaus that I have in the black truck.

Onto some photos.

Also got the rear mud flaps finished up, they are quick release and are super fast to remove with just one pin needed to remove the flap on either side only leaving a small stub of 1.5" dom sticking out of the frame. They fit really well and are tucked up under the bed, hardly noticeable.

Passenger side trim all finished up and bedliner on it. This side still rubs a tiny bit so it needs bit more work but only when backing up and at full lock.

Interior is shaping up, I really like the black on the interior with the tan for some reason. I have the carpet just need to pull the seats out and make a front carpet kit.

and you can see that I still need a drivers side door seal. The previous owner used bath and tub silicone to hold in a generic seal but it was falling of when I got the truck, so I still need that too.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby m880cummins » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:52 pm

THAT LOOKS B.A. I love the bed!!!!
1977 M880 Cummins 5 speed SOLD :(
1985 Crew cab Cummins P7100 NV4500 D60/D80
SUNY Maritime Class of 2017!
m880cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:50 pm

The bed looks cool, but kinda strange being so short on the long truck. JMO ;) It looks great, I like the 70's trucks.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:00 pm

I doubt i would fit in the cab with the seats that high. My head is close with the stock bench in mine.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:16 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:I doubt i would fit in the cab with the seats that high. My head is close with the stock bench in mine.

Unless your a giant, you would fit. I am 6'4" and have lots of room above my head.

I am trying to make it comfortable to drive so I may need to experiment with the seat height a bit, might end up loweing it an inch from where it is at right now but it is pretty damn comfy. I like being able to sit up a little bit higher, especially for wheeling, I can see around the big girl a lot better. My thought process was that it would be a lot easier to take some metal out of the bracket than to add it in there.

On another note, I was pretty happy that I was able to drive it to work today, headed in to downtown after work and stopped in to see some pals at the Cruiser shop sat in some traffic on the way home and all was good. Temps guages all worked like a champ.

Tranny needs some help though, syncros are shot in 2 and 3 so the tranny needs to come out and go in for repair.

PToombs- The bed is a little short, I will agree with that, I think the truck turned out pretty proportionate to be honest.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:59 am

Im 6'2-6'3" but like i said i have maybe half inch between my head and roof in my regular cab. You did great work on it though.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for the props.

Managed to get just shy of 200 miles on it this week running around back and forth to work a couple days and picking up parts yesterday morning.

Next on the agenda was the front bumper. I got a vr12000 winch from Warn and a super simple winch tray to start with.

Worked late friday night so I had to get all my parts on Saturday. Got home and got to work kind of late. but made some good progress.

Sorry for the crappy photos, was not a lot of light when I got this far last night.

Got back at it this morning and made descent progress. All that is left is to wire up the winch and build some kind of light bar when I get some lights.....there will be lights. =)

Carpet should be here this week, goes to the tranny guy tomorrow morning to diagnose the issues with the shifting.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:45 pm

That bumper is what i want to build. Thanks for giving me a good idea.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:03 pm

So did you figure out the issue with your trans?
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Yep....

It was trashed inside. Everything got replaced except for the shafts, gears and case. All new bearings, all new syncros, all new shift forks and bushings resealed and overfilled with 5 qts of mobile 1 synthetic 5w 30.

Drives like a million bucks now.....it should though was not a cheap rebuild.

Pretty happy with it, got the carpet installed along with the rest of the interior this week and got a stereo in the old girl. Drove it to work yesterday and today and had fun.

Run into some issues with the throttle cable not pulling the throttle arm on the pump. Its still not going full throttle but its a huge difference even just what I did get. :lol: With the smoke and star wheel turned in a denny t fuel pin and 75 horse pods it will certainly get out of its own way.

Cant wait for 3200 springs.

Has anyone done a he 341 swap on one of the first gens? Any links or info would be great.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby hackster » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Couple updates on the truck.

Number 1

I still have not gotten any front lights. Been busy with other stuff the last couple weeks. Getting all the bugs worked out and getting it ready to go out wheeling.

I was able to get the front bumper finally bolted down with some proper hardware, I got some tow attachments on the front bumper just in case. Also built my rubber innerfenderwell panels to close the gap between the inner fender and outer fender to stop the water and mud from getting up into the engine compartment.

Loaded up tools strapped on a shovel, high lift jack and a 35" spare tire just incase something happened, i figured it would be better than no spare at all.

We managed to get up into some deeper snow as we went up in elevation but I was enjoying the wheeling and did not snap any more photos.

The truck did suprisingly well in the snow, we went up with a bunch of othre people and made it up to the base camp area in two wheel drive and probably a foot or so of really fresh snow.

The front suspension is pretty descent, not a desert truck by any means its still just some leaf sprangs. The rear suspension is another story.....its rough, really rough. I will have to make some changes to this before the big alaska trip.

But all in all the truck works really well, no issues with the drivetrain, body electrical brakes or anything really.

Its time for some lockers in the axles and see just where this thing will go.

Number 2

Pulled off the turbo, exhaust, intake oil feed, oil drain and dropped the turbo in ten minutes. Too easy almost.

Mocked up the housing so I could get the center section of the turbo clocked correctly with the oil drain line. Then got the compressor side on and clocked in the correct orientation and managed to get the snap ring reinstalled.

Also forgot to mention that I welded up the wastegate since there was no good way for me to remount the wastegate actuator and the H1C never had one either.

Bolted the turbo onto the manifold and started to deal with the exhaust. Cut off the H1C flange and bolted the new Source weld on flange to the turbo, got the 4" exhaust cut back and fitting nice and welded it all up.

Here is the finished product....

I have the upgraded boost tubes from Source but I need to build a new discharge line, a little bit longer and with a little jog in it.

Turned out good, glad to be rid of that horrible 3" exhaust flange and know that when I want to upgrade to a descent aftermarket turbo, that it is a bolt in deal.

Drives totally different, before it was pretty laggy but the hit when the turbo would light off would put you back in your seat, now it just pulls hard from idle all the way up. Waaaayyyy less smokey and it builds even more boost. I really need to get a new boost guage that goes to 50 lbs.

Drives good and makes some nice noises too.

I am curious what it would do with an s300 in it.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 pm

I was reading on ExPo today and thought, huh that truck looks familiar. Lol! It was this one.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Id love to see snow around here.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:00 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Id love to see snow around here.

Take some of mine! 8)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Conversions & Builds