Hacksters Crew Cab Cummins 5 speed swap

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Hacksters Crew Cab Cummins 5 speed swap

Postby m880cummins » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:34 pm

WOW! You're moving quick!

A good tip is on the cowl panel to glue in screen door screen on the back side to prevent what happened to your evap core. This will also keep the cowl ducting clean and dry

Charlie
1977 M880 Cummins 5 speed SOLD :(
1985 Crew cab Cummins P7100 NV4500 D60/D80
SUNY Maritime Class of 2017!
m880cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 pm

That crap on the evaporator is common. Lots of guys cut their box out just in front of it and screw on a cover so they can pull it and clean that stuff out every now and then.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Today was a frustrating day, got up and dealt with some small issues, headlight switch and panel then found that the 79 emergency brake pedal would not work with the 93 dash and the 93 pedal will not work with the 79 mounts, so a little re-engineering a new hole in the 93 pedal assembly and a spacer behind it and that was good to go.

Also picked up the new positive and negative battery cables from the dodge dealership, was shocked at the price but very much happy with the fact that they had them and they were an exact replica of the stock ones.

Chris came over and helped out for many hours today....Thanks CJ!!

We worked on the damn core support for hours. I should have bought a new one for the 93 and transfered on the early headlight buckets...

Used the 79 core support and transfered all the brackets onto it from the wrecked core support on the 93. This was a ton of work, not to mention fixing some rust damage.

Dont recommend it to anyone but its what I had and it all worked out in the end.

Shot it in the normal Hackster spray booth (the driveway =) Pulled it in the garage and saw that it has runs galore....even though I was laying down the paint very thin so I need to re look at my mixture and see if its something I was doing wrong.

hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby hackster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 am

So something happened with either the temperature outside or the mix on the paint and the paint on the core support ran like crazy and never setup. So Friday morning when I got up, the paint was a nasty sticky horrible mess. Tried to dry it but zero luck with that so I tried to sand it and it just went downhill from there.

So I took the whole core support over to Jon at Soda Blast in Tigard and he did a great job of cleaning up the mess I had been so successful in making.

Got the core support back friday night hung it in the garage, cleaned it, primed, sanded, scuffed it and heated it all up nice and warm as well as the garage.

Shot more paint on it and this time it turned out great.

Saturday morning, paint was dry so I was finally able to begin the reassembly process on the frontend. Inner fenders, trimmed for future fender cutting and core support mounted up.

The fenders and all the other stuff was next, so I got to mounting stuff.

Here is where I ended the day early as we had a wedding to go to.

I also spent some time cleaning up the engine since the engine bay was starting to look descent. Cleaned and painted the engine with some high temp black paint, pulled the top valve cover cover and shot that tan and re painted the cummins in red and used some stove brite on the exhaust and turbo exhaust side.

[IMG]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m588/hackster1/Snapbucket/3CFEEC85
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby KDubya » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:14 am

Very Cool project! I like it.
KDubya
smoke screw?

Postby PToombs » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:58 pm

The cream color on the inner fenders makes everything stand right out. Nice!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Went out this morning and had it in my head to get this thing running. A few minutes of troubleshooting had me at a bad clutch safety switch. With that jumpered out, it fired right up!! I was pretty excited.

So it runs now to finish it up and make it drive,

Picked up lower radiator hose, heater hose, vacuum hose and some other misc bits and installed those this morning along with the grill headlights and started to go through the light wiring as I have no parking lights or turn signals but lost interest in that when Asher showed up.

We turned to some exhaust fun, ran the 4" Diamond Eye exhaust out the back, descent system but a bit close to the transfer case no matter how you run it, 4" seems big on this truck.

Put the seat back in it, got some loose ends tied up and moved the old girl for the first time...barely fits in the garage door.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xPjyTeKJJ-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clutch feels great, tranny good so far and the brakes and steering are nice and tight as well.

Intercooler behind the 79 grille!!!

And just for fun since its actually in the garage....

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby m880cummins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:12 am

What a BEAST!!!!

SO, with that '70s grille, you fit the intercooler behind it and used the intercooled rad...How much space is between the stock intercooler and grille? I want to run aftermarket and A/C behind my '70s grille..

Charlie
1977 M880 Cummins 5 speed SOLD :(
1985 Crew cab Cummins P7100 NV4500 D60/D80
SUNY Maritime Class of 2017!
m880cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby hackster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:33 pm

So, I had to spend most of the weekend with the family but I did manage to get the drivers inner fender buttoned up, cleaned up the wiring on that fenderwell, mounted the cruise control actuator, got the radiator installed with new hoses, battery is mounted down for good, bolted the body down, installed the hood release cable and the cowl and hood, aligned the hood, adjusted the latch and got rid of the dually bed, the gantry and all my other scrap metal.

Here is what the engine bay turned out like for the most part, this is before the hood and cowl and I still need to build an intake for it.

Then got it all loaded up on the trailer to take it to the frame shop tomorrow. I hope that he can fix what I have going on with the frontend or I am kinda screwed. =)

Tires landed on shore last week so those should be here this week, wheels are on order and I need to get some metal to get going on sliders, bumper and the bed.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:22 pm

You didn't scrap the dually bed did you?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:38 pm

x2

what are you doing for a bed?
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Sorry guys but yes I did scrap the bed.... it was not in as great of shape as it looked. The dually fenders were shot and there was a lot of dents in it. One side was tweaked pretty bad right behind the fender and would have required someone to put a new bedside on it.

Had it local on cl for two weeks and no takers.

Building a box and tube flatbed for it. The plan is something that I can do some serious adventures with store some tools for the wheeler and some mild snow wheeling.

Lots better than a sheet metal bed that would more than likely get pretty trashed.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 4thesporty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Wow, even though I am doing a completely different conversion than you, I hope my crew cab turns out half as nice as this one!

Great work.
1994 Chevy K3500 12V/NV4500
Full rebuild with mahle non I/C pistons, 370s (set @ 250 bar), HX35/HT3B, custom cam, studs and orings. Yep, it's a VE :)
Still in progress
4thesporty
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ahale2772 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:20 am

wow, seems like what is junk in your eyes would be mint in the northeast. Project looks awesome.
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Look what showed up today =)

Gotta get the bed drawn up this weekend and get some steel ordered for the bed, bumper and sliders and next week should start on the fun fabrication.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Conversions & Builds