Hacksters Crew Cab Cummins 5 speed swap

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Hacksters Crew Cab Cummins 5 speed swap

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:41 pm

What are you running for wheels?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:54 am

Hutchinson DOT legal beadlocks.

I am getting these in matte black. They are a very nice wheel and will give me some peace of mind when out in the middle of nowhere. No issues with ever debeading a tire even when aired down for some snow wheeling.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&rls= ... x=82&ty=99

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby hackster » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

Well it was quite the soggy weekend here in the PNW....that did not stop me from working in the shop though.

The wife and dog were out of town all weekend so it was go time. Got the Green Volvo finished up and actually drove it around town for the first time Friday night. Some low boost (15psi) runs put a smile on my face for at least a few minutes.

77 chev and my friend Asher came by for a good part of the weekend to help. Thanks again Guys, never could have gotten this much done without the help.

So picked up the truck on Friday, got it home and unloaded. Got to work on it about 2 on Saturday after cleaning up the shop and the mess from the green car.

Scott and I put together his bender in the driveway with his new fancy Hydro setup (I need to get one for my bender ASAP) The setup is from a local guy Troy from SWAG. It was awesome. The fact that we were bending tube out on the rain sucked, but the fact that we were bending tube in such a small area and it was super easy and quick was priceless.

Saturday got the majority of the frame laid out, center pieces and bent up one fender opening. Sunday morning I came out early and got the other side and back end cleaned up and ready to build on. Here is what the base of the bed looks like.

So with that all tacked up and where it should be, we grabbed some lunch. When we got back the rain had really moved in so we moved the old girl into the shop and got to work on the rest of the toob work.

This is my happy medium of a headache rack and rool bar. I could not get myself to make the stubs stick up any higher, but I wanted to give myself the ability to bolt on some extensions and use it as a latter/pipe rack. So the top of those tubes that look like devil horns will have a washer welded to the top of it with a nut on the bottom that I can bolt accessories to it.

I ended up making the bed a little bit shorter than I wanted to, I wish that I would have made the bed 6'6" instead of 6' straight up but hindsight is what it is. I left 48" between the down tubes so I will easily be able to fit a 4x8 sheet of wood or whatever in the bed.

Got the truck loaded back up on the trailer after we pulled off the bed and delivered it back up to the frame guys place about 10 pm last night.

Hope to be able to get the bed finished up this week and ready to go back on the cab when I get it back.

Now to figure out what to plate it with and what I want to do for a filler neck and an x behind the cab.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cannondiesels » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:34 pm

Are ya keeping the single cab truck???
cannondiesels
smoke screw?

Postby cmann250 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Looks great 8) Please keep the Edlebrock sticker in the back window :lol:
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:57 am

cannondiesels wrote:Are ya keeping the single cab truck???

Although I would love to keep the black single cab truck....it has been hands down the most reliable truck I have ever owned, I dont think that I have the storage space to keep them both. Two volvo's a buggy, the crew cab a dirt bike and the wifes daily driver TDI jetta is a lot for one household with no kids.

But I need to get this on the road first and see how it runs drives and tows. We will be heading to Moab in Spring and the plan is to use this to haul the buggy down there as a sort of test run for the alaska trip next summer.

So more than likely no.

I doubt the edelbrock sticker will live the test of time ;)

Seab
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby hackster » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:02 am

Only got a couple hours to work on it today. Spent most of the morning at a customers building digging in mud to help fix a water leak.

Got the center piece all cut and laid in where it needed to go, squared up and everything :shaking:

Laid out all the panels and got to drilling... That was a lot of holes to drill and tap.

Removed everything and shot on a coat of paint....Did not clean it enough, so I got some fisheyes. Scuffed it and got some more and reshot it all.

Here is where I am at now.

Pretty sure that this is the idea I am going to run with. Little different but you get the idea for the spare tire.

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:54 am

Looking good.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby hackster » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Getting close....

Done a lot of work the last week.

Almost ready for the first road trip :shock:

Sean
hackster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 88Centurion » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:41 am

Looks good really like that bed! Awsome work!
88Centurion
fuel screw!!!!

Postby SaskAttak » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 am

What a great thread!! I am putting a 93 CTD into a 79 Power Wagon W200 and I have been racking my brain on the firewall/dash work for awhile now. Thanks to this thread I am now have a game plan. You underhood photos where also very much appreciated.

Dang nice truck! Thanks for sharing your project. 8)
SaskAttak
smoke screw?

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:59 am

Looks great.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:39 am

Awesome build! Love the bed.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Farmboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:54 am

Does it still fit in the garage with the new tires and wheels?
1990 W350 4X4 NOW INTERCOOLED 5-speed. Boost/Pyro. Few light tweaks to the pump. Now a dually with an aluminum flatbed!!
Farmboy
14mm rotor

Postby dds78910 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:55 am

This truck is looking good. The fab work on the bed looks great!
dds78910
fuel pin?

PreviousNext

Return to Conversions & Builds