85 Ramcharger 4bt swap

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

85 Ramcharger 4bt swap

Postby rcb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:58 am

Hello all.

Thought I'd post up this project. I wanted a family vehicle that got reasonable fuel mileage but could still tow. I also wanted longevity and durability.

This all started with a 65 Wagoneer I had. It had sat for quite a while, and wanted to re-motor it. I also wanted to go to diesel for better fuel efficiency.

Well long story short, I got turned onto 4bts. So I bought one. Then we moved. Deciding I needed something less involved to convert, I sold the Jeep and bought an RC, having always loved them (being a Mopar guy), but not the 15mpg.

Read a lot on trannies and decided to go with a 47rh. Knew I wanted 2 low, so I grabbed a 205 for twin stick capability.

I am now trying to buy the accessories, starter, vacuum/power steering, etc... If I had went RC to begin with I likely would have just bought a 6bt, but as I already have the parts in hand... We actually looked for a 1st gen with an extended cab for quite a while, but just couldn't find one in decent condition for the right price. I really wanted to find a 4x4, non-dually but found none. But projects are fun and here we are.

I'll be adding pics in soon.

Thought I'd share.
rcb
fuel pin?

Re: 85 Ramcharger 4bt swap

Postby RumbleFish » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 am

Welcome. We need pics!!!!
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Re: 85 Ramcharger 4bt swap

Postby rcb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Here is the only one I have on had... it's just the RC itself. Not super clean, but it was the best I could find without paying a premium.

I'm keeping the CAD axles, but switching them to manual engagement via cable. Its been used well on Jeeps that also have a CAD.

I'm trying to find a new doghouse, but I can actually buy those new fenders off ebay for less... though I don't know about the quality of said fenders.

I'm keeping it somewhat mundane. It has a 2" lift that I'll likely keep. Might go to 3/4 ton leafs though. I'm removing the steps most likely.

Well really one thing at a time. The first goal is to get this thing moving under its own gusto.

rcb
fuel pin?

Return to Conversions & Builds