1972 Ford Crew Cab Conversion

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: 1972 Ford Crew Cab Conversion

Postby grinnergetter » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Time to put or shut up...I've researched my brains out and I'm just gonna go for it.

I can't seem to track down a set of those 2nd gen mounts so making my own.

I have 7.5 between CM and axle...looks good.

grinnergetter
fuel screw!!!!

Postby matthewh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Billy Bones wrote:Off topic but where did you get your welding clamp and how do you like it? Great job on the build!

That clamp is an Irwin 18R, we use them alot at work, handy as hell. Other companies make similar ones, I just know Irwins #
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:00 am

Its coming along nicely.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby grinnergetter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Added 2 bosses just for fun yesterday. I'm not totally convinced on my design so a little extra reinforcement is good.

I keep looking through other threads and want to make comments, ask a question or just an attaboy but all those links within keep distracting me and leading me to all kinds of interesting info. :D
grinnergetter
fuel screw!!!!

Postby grinnergetter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:35 pm

So the 2nd gen mounts created some issues. Obviously I needed new frame brackets and because the new CM is already welded in...I had to move the engine back 2.00. So it's gonna be close as far as firewall clearance but it seems that having to modify is the story of my life. More fun that way!!!

The TC is just barely into the frame now and the engine is 3.5 off to the passenger side. Anymore and the passenger mount wasn't going to go in anyway.

It looks like space between trans and tunnel is pretty even.

The frame to engine brackets still need finishing but the Cummins is no longer supported by the hoist....that thang is in the freakin way!!!

grinnergetter
fuel screw!!!!

Postby grinnergetter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Dang it's been cold. Hard to get the barn up to comfortable in these temps. Made it to 20 today so I got a bit of solitude. Supposed to thaw this weekend so I should get plenty done.

I'm going to make 4 frame pieces and then work on a crossmember/ skid plate idea.

Made some templates and then made sure the Hanson company will have to make more drill bits. The plates will be inset .500 so I have to do a little trimming around the shackle hangers. Also going to cut a few notches along the bottom for drainage.

grinnergetter
fuel screw!!!!

Postby grinnergetter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:13 pm

grinnergetter
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:30 pm

That's cool how they lock together! Good engineering! (I don't say that often! ;) :lol: )
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Very cool.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby grinnergetter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks everyone. We got 5 more inches of snow yesterday, 39 degrees today...freakin weather... and I ran out of room for snow so the tractor had to come out today.

I did manage to get the real engine in. No fire wall mods required.

So I'm setting it in place and notice the engine is sitting on the new CM. I was freakin out and thinking that I somehow managed to discover something different in Cummins blocks. I looked and looked and finally realized that the engine was tilted forward on the hoist...duh. Wipe my brow and carry on.

Good god that created some panic.

Plenty of room.

grinnergetter
fuel screw!!!!

Postby grinnergetter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:41 pm

I started working on the trans CM. Took me a couple of days and I still need to add some extra bracing on the bushing side along with pieces for transition from trans plate and tubing.

I used early 60's Volvo engine mounts to give her some give:

Using the stock trans plate:

Plenty of space for driveshaft and exhaust. I can clock the TC down if necessary.

grinnergetter
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:26 am

That is some beautiful fab work right there. :thumright:
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby grinnergetter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks for the comp 59:

Another full day on this CM and still not done. I'm going to need one more day.

I didn't like the ends of the CM not having any additional bracing and it would kinda suck if the trans fell down if I got a little rowdy, so I added a strap on one side and pretty much boxed in the other.

Tools that are really,really cheap are seriously cutting into my rebuild engine/trans fund.

Moah bigga plasma cutta:

grinnergetter
fuel screw!!!!

Postby grinnergetter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:05 pm

One more thing,,, I think there is some sort of trans cooler that bolts to the passenger side of this engine. The PO had cut the stock lines at some point(probably trans rebuild) and was wondering if I could eliminate the stocker and run something bigger up front or would it be better to use the thing on the side in conjuntion with a radiator mounted cooler.

If I have to keep it has anyone run braided lines rather than stock steel one's?

Admit that I am still struggling with the names of some of the engine components. When you all abbreviate things sometimes it's a bit hard to figure out what your talking about. :D

I'll figure it out as I go along, I'm sure.

Thanks
grinnergetter
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:21 pm

The piece you are referring to is the heat exchanger. It cools the trans fluid with the engine water, it goes thru that then to the front to an air cooler. It helps to warm the oil in cold temps and cools it when you are towing up hills or throwing a lot of heat to it. The downside is it can overheat the engine if you are pulling a long steep hill. No reason you can't use braided lines. I used regular hydraulic hose when I added a cooler to my cousins truck.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Conversions & Builds