best approach to mating engine -trans

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

best approach to mating engine -trans

Postby jethro » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:34 pm

I am putting a 12 valve into a F-350, 2004 ex- 6 liter, with 6 speed zf-6 - single rear wheel-
The previous owner of the truck took out the 6 liter (thank-you) and was going to do the same conversion

I cant tell by looking if he moved the transmission back yet or not. Appairently it only needs to go back about 1 inch
on this year truck......

There are only the 2 small bolts holding the rear of the transmission ( the door hinge looking bracket)
Would I be better to unhook the output shaft and put the engine in and move the bracket and/or crossmember holes
after the fact------
or try to figure out where it should go beforehand and drill/elongate mounting holes before connecting engine ?
Somewhere I thought I saw a replacement trans bracket that has moved holes which allows the trans to sit 1 inch further back
without drilling new holes in the crossmember........

any thoughts/ opinions -especially from someone who had done it ??????

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: best approach to mating engine -trans

Postby simplysmn » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:00 pm

I would Mount it after you get Motor set into place .It would maker thing's Much Easier to do .
simplysmn
fuel screw!!!!

Re: best approach to mating engine -trans

Postby jethro » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:49 am

Like because the trans is 1/10 the weight of the motor---- get the motor on the mounts and then maneuver the trans
up to it from behind on some kind of adjustable lift where I can get the angle just rite ?
Would you take the cross member out - do the mating and then re-fit the cross member -making whatever mounting hole adjustments as needed ?
I may or may not have to do something with the drive shaft on it length...... (truck has a 6 inch lift currently- which may reduce later)

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Conversions & Builds