engine and trans in OK- how about that gearshift ?

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

engine and trans in OK- how about that gearshift ?

Postby jethro » Tue May 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Got the engine and trans basically in- (ex-6 liter 2004 f-350 4 wd to 12 valve)
Using destroked motor mounts. Not really a whole lot of variability as far as where the engine can go on the cross member.
maybe not more than 1/2 inch at most front to back. Wanted to verify it was in correct place- so I screwed on the fan and set the radiator in place and looked at the clearance. Looks like about 2+1/2 to 3 inches between fan and rad. To my that seems like about what it should be- just enough room to unscrew fan without hitting the fins........

The reason I wanted to double check this was that when I compare the gear shift (floor shift ZF-6 with 4 wd) with the hole in the floor- the stem on the shifter is now about even with rear edge of the hole. I expected it to be aft of center- but didn't think it would be that much.

Does this seem to be consistent with yalls previous experiences ? Would the fix be to cut a couple of inches off the back of the sheet metal and then add a plug to the front ? (same with the 4wd shifter)

Is there problems with the seat position interfering with the shifter's new position or vice versa ?

Does this sound like the way it goes ? Seems like there is no choice where the motor goes- and that seems to locate everything else........

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: engine and trans in OK- how about that gearshift ?

Postby Remps » Wed May 13, 2015 8:40 pm

I'd imagine one could heat and bend the shift levers a little for clearance. Looking forward to hearing how it drives!
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Re: engine and trans in OK- how about that gearshift ?

Postby jethro » Wed May 13, 2015 10:35 pm

I think it will drive great !
It is nice that the shift lever is removable without involving the part that goes into the gearbox. An angle change might help
some from running into the seat because of the being displaced to the rear.
Got both drive shafts to fit - all though the rear one looks like it is compressed to the max. I may shorten that on about 1 or 1+1/2 inch.
just for fun I set the ford intercooler in- the routing for each should be nice and easy ! I was worried about that.
Gotta figure out how to plumb in the hydraulic boost to the brake.... not sure how that system works.
have to take the fuel tank off and clean it- take off the ford high pressure injection pump off the frame-
The transmission cross member is kind of between holes- so that has to be figured out yet.....
Looking good though !!!!!
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Conversions & Builds