ford superduty hydroboost question.....

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

ford superduty hydroboost question.....

Postby jethro » Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 am

I have the dodge PS pump on my engine. Also have the BIG hydroboost still on the firewall. It has 3 return hoses-
2 smaller ones and one huge one. Seeing that the dodge pump has its own tank attached to the pump- do most people doing
conversion remove the big ford plastic tank and just use the little tank on the pump ?

Reason I ask is that it appears that if you hooked the tanks together it seems like the fluid in the plastic tank would drain down hill and fill and overflow the smaller tank on the pump ........

Not sure why the ford tank has 3 returns instead of the expected 2 (??????)

any thoughts ?

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: ford superduty hydroboost question.....

Postby ellis93 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:38 am

Iirc that big tube comes from a plastic fluid tank......remove and throw it away. Like you stated its just to supply a pump fluid,you don't need it.
T the two returns into the dodge pump tank or find another tank from another Saginaw pump. Later model dodge or gm tanks work.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Wed May 20, 2015 12:16 am

Ellis- Thank you-
That sounds easy enough---
My only concern was that the powerstroke tank needed to be so huge for some reason..... that maybe the smaller tank attached to the pump might not be enough reserve volume-
Sounds fairly easy ! Will try it !

The fellow at ford-cummins mentioned that he was about finished with a tank prototype for this application-
not sure where it mounts or what happens to the pump's own tank.

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:54 am

Well cooling the fluid and volume of it may be an issue but could be easily solved with some sort of inline cooler. Inline between the return T and tank.
But honestly......I don't think you'll have a problem. All the hydro boost that were out before the ford (3/4 and 1 ton applications) relied on that same tank volume. Where I have seen the most fluid capacity was on like two ton motor home/dump truck/farm applications.

It's something to think about I guess
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 pm

This chassis still has the ford power steering cooler attached. Looks like it came on it as it has a bracket for it down at the bottom that looks factory.
Back when it was a 6 liter- they pulled a big 5-th wheel camper and a horse trailer. I don't expect I would have any heating trouble since I wont be pulling much. (just grades on steep roads maybe)

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Conversions & Builds