Finally getting started soon!! '93 12V in a '94 K1500

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby jimmyt83 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:41 pm

I think I found the wiring for the transmission...was it all one harness that went across both, the engine and tranny? I did have the engine wiring harness, but didn't think it was all one piece.

I have the transmission lines ran into the bed area, and have the cooling lines ran back there as well. I don't have pictures up yet, but it's at a point now where I should be able to put the bed on, hook the tranny lines and radiator up (in the bed) and start the beast up and let her run so I can get the wiring for the oil pressure and coolant temp sensors hooked up to the stock GM gauges. If I get weird readings from the dodge sensors, I'll pull the ones out of my 6.5 and use GM sensors on the Cummins engine.

Next is to figure out the shift linkage for the transmission and to figure out the driveshaft for the rear end. I also need to get the core support cleaned up so I can bolt it back to the frame now that the engine is in and running.

My 8-lug conversion for the SF axle I had planned isn't going to work the way I wanted it to. I thought I had all of the pieces, but upon putting it all together, I found out that the 2WD semi-floater 14-bolt is 2" narrower than the 4WD version, and I can't find any axle shafts around here that I'm willing to pay the prices they want for them. I've decided to just do the disk brake conversion on the rear and keep the 6-lug shafts. Once the truck is running and I have all of the bugs worked out, I'll find a 14-bolt Full Floater to put in. It's not really a priority right now, as my fundage is running a little low, and there's nothing wrong with the rear end I have now. I'll have to run 6-lugs on the back, and 8-lugs on the front for a while, but it's only going to be temporary.

I just ordered my suspension for both the front and rear, as well as my crossover steering setup for the front. Once that comes in, I'll be able to button this thing up and get 'er on the street. Overall, I'm expecting about 10" of suspension lift and 3" of body lift...that should be enough to put me just about right to run the 39.5" Boggers that I want to run. Once I get the Dana 60 in the front and she's sitting as tall as she's going to be, I'll have to modify the transmission crossmember to clear the front driveshaft. It's not going to be a major ordeal, but I do believe it's going to be in the way.
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:57 pm

Progress is still being made, but I finally hit my first speedbump. The center pulley bolt walked itself out...no big deal...I had to take it off anyways, because I didn't press the pully on far enough and the belts were not riding right. All went well until I went to put the alternator back on and apparently with the pulley out of whack, there was a lot of extra stress on the alternator housing and when I went to put the alternator back on, it snapped the bottom bolt hole completly off. OOPSE!!! I guess I should have pressed the center pulley on further!

Oh ya...I just re-ready my thread and I forgot to mention that in order to mate the transfer case up to the tranny, I had to completely remove the torsion bar crossmember. The case wouldn't even mate up to the tranny with it in place.

Otherwise, all else is going well. My suspension should be in this week as well as the crossover steering setup. Today, I hooked up the accelerator pedal and fabbed up a accelerator bracket to run the cable to inside of the truck. The truck was originally a "drive-by-wire" truck and the TPS mounted directly to the accelerator pedal. I removed the TPS from the pedal assembly and took a piece of 1/4" plate steel and cut a slot to fit over the little key that turned the TPS. THe bracket ran straight up from there to where the cable fit through the firewall. I bought a $29 universal trottle cable from auto zone and cut it to fit what I needed. It seems to work like it's supposed to and looks great. I also got my brake disks onto the axles and the rear end is all back together. I haven't welded on my caliper brackets yet because I had to get the rear end back togethr to move it around the yard. Somethin' about city ordinances and my yard looking like the local boneyard. GO FIGURE! Oh ya, and the bed is back on and it's starting to look like a truck again! I'll get pictures tomorrow and post them up.
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Well guys, I've finally gotten some progress to post. Over the past week, I've gotten the disk brake conversion completed, I've built my own shackle flip, and my springs finally came in. I haven't done anything with the front yet, but I've finished up (except for some finishing touches) the shackle flip and installed the rear 5" springs. All I can say is HOLY COW!!! I didn't expect for it to be quite this tall, and it's not even finished yet! I have already updated my pics on photobucket to reflect the recent changes...and separated my pics into 2 different folders; one for the Cummins Conversion, and one for the Solid Axle Swap.

Cummins Conversion... http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii22 ... onversion/

Solid Axle Swap... http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii22 ... le%20Swap/

As for the axle selection...I've decided to leave the SF axle alone for now, and leave it 6-lug with disks. I'll probably have the front built before I find a FF axle, and am not afraid to run it with 6-lug rear and 8-lug front axles until I find one and get it built the way I want it. I'm not talking more than a month or two...
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:33 am

Alright...I know...an update is LONG OVERDUE!!! Since my last post, I have gotten the front clip back on the truck, as well as the hood. I have the rollbar sitting in the bed, and have my cooling lines ran back to where they need to go. The radiator is hooked up, but I have yet to actually mount it in the bed.

I have also gotten the front springs hung using Sky Manufacturing's shackle hangers and a home-made set of spring hangers in the front...and a Dana 60 sitting proudly under the front of the truck. My crossover is hooked up, and I'm working on the turbo/intercooler. I have aquired a bigger turbo from a dump truck that I'm going to run as a bottom turbo in a set of twins, so that's going to set me back a little while in getting her on the street...BUT...SHE'S GETTING THERE!!!

jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:52 pm

Where did you get the hood? I like that and cant find them anywhere.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby jimmyt83 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:07 am

I'll have to look up the name and number of the place...I will shoot you a PM about it once I figure it out. I know it's out of Tennessee...the hood and shipping set me back almost a grand.
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Ok thanks.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby slowdiesel » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:10 pm

You might want to get ride of the Angle Iron you have the front spring perches mounted too. Square tubing works better. Looking great though!
1984 D100 Ve-Twins.

Special Thanks Mayer Farm Equipment
slowdiesel
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks, bro, but that's not angle iron. It's a 3/8" thick "T" Also, I'm not done with it just yet...still got some cleaning up and a few re-inforcments that need to be made. I plan on gusseting the inside spring tabs back up into the crossmember, and a few other little things.
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby slowdiesel » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Sorry if i sounded like i was bashing, I was not at all. Truck looks really good. My friend and I have done about 20 some straight axle conversions over the years. We have also done 6 Chevy Cummins conversions, 4 6BT and 2 4BT.
1984 D100 Ve-Twins.

Special Thanks Mayer Farm Equipment
slowdiesel
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Thanks, Slow...I need to get some pics of the engine up...it sits REALLY good in the front end of my chevy...it gives me a bit of a warm and fuzzy when I hear her purr....LOL

No, I didn't take offense at all...I'll have to get some better pics of the spring hanger...it's a lot beefier looking than the one that Sky or ORU sells, but I've gotten negative comments about it on just about every site it's posted on. Also, guys...try to keep in mind it's NOT FINISHED YET!! There's still quite a bit of cleaning up and re-inforcing to be done before it gets wheeled.
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:40 am

So...the front shocks and right rear shocks are hung. I would have both of the rear shocks hung if I hadn't lost one of the brackets...I know it's somewhere around here...

I re-did the transmission crossmember. I used a piece of 2x4 square tubing and cut the ends to make a flat surface to bolt to the frame.

I also got the rear disks on, but am having some trouble getting them hooked up. Somehow, I was thinking I could use hard lines to hook the calipers up, and after getting extremely frusterated, I realized that they were designed for the front...I got some front lines, banjo bolts, and washers, only to find that the banjo bolts they sold me were the wrong ones...and the parts stores are closed...GO FIGURE!!

I had planned on some pics of the front shocks, and I also have the rear bumper built...but my camera batteries died. I'll try to get them up within the next few days. OH YEAH!! And MY BOGGERS!!! I only have 2 of them (the other 2 rims are on backorder) so I'm going to put them on the rear, and probably run the 39.5x15 TSL's I have on the front until my other two come in.
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby GO OVRIT » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:06 pm

Looking good. That crossmember should work pretty good.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

IT...IS...ALIVE!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:51 am

IT....IS....ALIVE!!!!

I took the truck around the block a few times now, and all I can say about it is WOW!!! The truck is nowhere near complete, but she moves under her own power now, and is almost streetable. There's still a few bugs to work out...but she's getting there.

Here's a picture of how I mounted the front shocks...

I got the radiator mounted in the bed, and the home-made fan and shroud. The right side, I broke the fan blade trying to get it off of the motor, so I covered the hole with a couple pieces of rubber. Also, around the radiator to the fan shroud, I used an old truck inner tube to close it off, so the fan is sucking air through the radiator. There's still some cleaning up to do to it, and of course, I need to install another fan on the right side. Also, I built the double tube bumper for it...still a little left to do to it too.

Here's the stance from the front. I am still waiting on the guys at Pro Comp to finish building my other 2 rims for the front, so I have a scrap set of wheels and tires on the front. Using a soap stone I drew out a couple of ideas for the front bumper, but I think I'm going to leave it alone...except for my winch fairlead and a couple of shackles in the center.

MMMMM!!!! BOGGERS!!!! I love how they line up with the body lines. They're on 15x14 Pro Comp 88 Series. BEWARE!!! They've been ordered for over 2 months now, and I've only gotten 2 of them. Supposedly, they should be here by next monday, but I've heard that before.

She TOWERS over the 'OL Lady's jeep!!!
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Finally getting started soon!! '93 12V in a '94 K1500

Postby Horsefly108 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Why have the radiator in the bed?
Horsefly108
fuel pin?

PreviousNext

Return to Conversions & Builds