Finally getting started soon!! '93 12V in a '94 K1500

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Finally getting started soon!! '93 12V in a '94 K1500

Postby jimmyt83 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:56 am

Well guys, we're finally on our way back from the great sandbox, and I'll be starting on the conversion within the next week or so. I 'think' I have most of the loose ends tied up as far as big parts go thanks to the guys over at AutoWorld. I ended up ordering their motor mounts, brackets to use the GM accessories, a pulley, a new timing cover, a new valve cover, and belts. I haven't seen them yet, but before they would make anything, they had me send them pictures of both, my Cummins engine and the accessories from the GM to make sure they mocked everything up for the right parts. There was a scheduled race a week after I finalized my order, and knowing that I wouldn't be home for a month, they made my order a priority and my parts were at the house in like...8 days. So far, I am more than happy with their customer service...

In addition to the brackets, mounts, etc, I am using the A518 transmission and transfer case that came out of the doner truck that I got the engine from. I have also ordered a 31x12x4 intercooler and an aluminum radiator that's a little narrower than the stock one (I think the new one is 26.5" wide) to make sure I have plenty of room for the piping.
I also ordered a MSD-2225 fuel pump and an external pressure regulator to make sure I'm pushing enough fuel when I get her started. Has anybody used this pump? Any issues with using it with diesel fuel??

What do you guys end up using for a downpipe? Is the stock one worth keeping or should I start looking for someone to build one to fit in the truck? I'll end up upgrading once it's running and I've gotten a bigger turbo.

Thanks guys...I'll be keeping you posted once I get started...and I'll be taking LOTS of pics for ya'll
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:42 pm

1st thing when you get home, make sure everything fits the way it should! On TDR there have been a few threads about how some of their parts don't fit right, and they become "unavailable" when you have a problem. I think 1 gripe was the alternator fitting correctly.
Other people have had no problem with their parts.
Good luck!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby NYCEGUY01 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:29 am

Im just gonna go with .

If you cant say anything nice..

Thats all I got. lol
96 chevy 3500 4x4 dually. 1st gen Cummins ,nv4500.
NYCEGUY01
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:10 pm

I thought I worded that pretty PC. I didn't say anything bad, I only saw the threads. I also saw people defending them.
I understand that there are 3 sides to every story, this guys, the other guys, and the truth! ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jimmyt83 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:03 am

I finally got home the other day and started tearing the front end apart. So far, I've gotten the grille, radatiator, and a lot of the engine disconnected...still a lot of work to do, but it's at least started. I'll get some pics of my progress today...and post my "before" pics.

The engine mounts and brackets look GREAT. I don't know how well they fit yet, but I'll be sure to post some pics of it when I get started.

I'm really considering putting my radiator in the bed, and may just remote mount the batteries while I'm at it.

The intercooler I picked up is 31"x12"x4" After ordering it, I looked up the banks system and it's twice the size of this one. Is it going to be enough to support a built 12V or am I going to have to find something taller?

Thanks,
Jimmy
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby NYCEGUY01 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:06 pm

I would go bigger if it was me.

I used a 99 stroke i/c with an aluminum rad and the stock a/c stuff.

It will all fit right in the front with the batts in thier stock location.
96 chevy 3500 4x4 dually. 1st gen Cummins ,nv4500.
NYCEGUY01
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:50 pm

Thanks NYCEGUY,
After looking at the banks system, I figured the IC was WAAAYYY too small. I guess I'll start looking for the PS IC.

I checked out the motor mounts and brackets I ordered from Auto World and was shocked at their quality. They are built very heavy and are very clean. If I ever break one of these mounts, I've got bigger problems to deal with. Once I get the 6.5 out, I'll know more as to how well they fit with what I"ve got.
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:47 pm

Progress is being made...I've got everything disconnected and the entire front clip off now. I spent today building an A-Frame to jack the engines up and down, and should be pulling the engine tomorrow. I've posted a few pictures of before and where I'm at now onto Photobucket...the link is posted below. I've stripped everything off of the front of the truck, including the radiator support. It's not out in the pics, because there's an A/C line that I can't get to bust loose...I'll work on it a little more tomorrow...

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii224/jimmyt83/
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:45 am

Well, the 6.5, 4L80E, and transfer case are all out. I've went over the chassis with the first pass of the pressure washer, and I've got nothing on the chassis except for the firewall.

The 6BT has been stripped, primered, and painted and is just about ready to be dropped in. I've put Auto World's mounts onto the engine and they are a PERFECT fit for the GM components. They are very clean, heavy duty, and like I said, fit perfectly.

I've uploaded some more pics to my photobucket link...just flip through the subfolders and look at "body work" and "Cummins Conversion"
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

PROGRESS!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:31 pm

The swap is going pretty good. The engine is in, and all of the essentials are hooked up; I still have the Rad. Core support out, so there are a few loose ends there, but it's coming together. Before I put the engine in, I removed the front diff for clearance, and then cut the diff brackets away from the motor mounts. The motor mounts I got from AutoWorld in Montana bolted into the center hole on the original mounts (on the frame) quite nicely. Today I got the torque converter bolted up to the flex plate, and spent the day waiting on a guy who was supposed to give me a hand putting the tranny in. Obviously, it didn't get done... Anyways, Tomorrow, I plan on slapping the transmission in and building the transmission crossmembers.

I've added quite a few pictures to photobucket of my progress...feel free to check them out. http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/i...%20Conversion/
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jimmyt83 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:25 am

Alright guys, it's gettin' there. I have the engine starting and running off of the key, and the volt meter and alternator working. There's not much to post pictures of just yet, but I'll get them up once I'm finished with the crossmember for the transmission...it was really simple. The bottom of the dodge transmission mounts sit just about level with the bottom of the chevy frame rail, so my solution was a piece of C-channel bolted to the bottom of the frame, and the dodge tranny bolted to the C-channel.

I am at a point, however, where I need a little help from you guys...
I am having some trouble finding any wiring diagrams or pictures that show me what each of the sensors are on the transmission. Also, I don't have the stock transmission wiring harness from the dodge, so I'm either going to have to find one or build one. Anyone got one laying around??

Thanks guys,
Jimmy
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun May 11, 2008 2:09 pm

Looking good, which trans are you using?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby GO OVRIT » Mon May 12, 2008 3:51 pm

You should have that harness. I'm pretty sure it was wrapped around the intake when your dad picked it up. If not, theres one in a local yard I can get for you.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby jimmyt83 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:10 pm

The transmission will be the A518. I have searched high and low for the trans harness and can't find it. Monday, I'll call the yards down here and see if I can't find one local...Down here these trucks are a lot harder to find in the bone yard though...somethin about not rusting out keeps them on the road a lot longer. I'll drop you a line if I can't find one here.

GetOverIt...do you know off hand if that tranny was a lock-up or not?

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the tranny or can at least let me know what all of the sensors and crap are?

Progress has been kind-of slow the past couple of weeks; I have been out of town for the past week due to a funeral in Pittsburgh.

Thanks guys.
jimmyt83
fuel screw!!!!

Postby GO OVRIT » Sun May 18, 2008 9:54 am

Its all stock and a non lock-up.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Conversions & Builds