PROJECT: DAMNCHARGER

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

PROJECT: DAMNCHARGER

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Some of you have probably been noting some recent comments posted by myself in reference to a "project".
Some have seen it in various stages.

Well, that project has pretty much been assembled, except for some minor interior assembly, installation of a driveshaft and having the rear wheel arches modified for the DUALLY fenders.

Yes, that's right, PROJECT DAMNCHARGER is to be a 1992 Dodge Ramcharger (Formerly a "Canyon Sport" edition) with a Cummins, 5 speed, sitting on 1 ton suspension and a 4 wheel drive chassis.

DamnCharger started life as a 318 Magnum, automatic 2wd, and is a transplant from D/FW, Texas, so it had quite literally ZERO rust and by miracle of happenstance, it still has nearly all of it's original body metal (minus the grille, core and lower support).

I originally bought DamnCharger back in '09, but then promptly sold it, then just recently traded back for it.
All the while I had/have owned it, I was determined that it WOULD indeed be a Cummins powered Ramcharger, but seeing as how I had the pieces, why not make it a 5 speed dually?

THEN I recently lucked into a really rotted out '91 Ramcharger that was a 4x4, which I stripped, gutted and parted, literally to a running gear and fuel tank.
Then began the task of removing and replacing first the front, then the rear axles, which actually went quite smoothly, as did the sending unit, rear wiring harness, plumbing the fuel lines and brake lines.

Then it came time to swap in a 205 and Getrag, which is where the biggest snag in the whole project came to light.
Dropping the trans/transfer case was even a pain, tried to drop it by the "remove-the-last-bolts-and-it'll-drop" method.
Didn't work, how surprising. :evil:

Had to jack the truck up and muscle it out. Aggravating.
Even more aggravating was to find out that the mainshaft-to-input bearing had come apart and locked the mainshaft to the input. Yep. Rebuild time. Great. :roll:

Got the trans rebuilt (my own doings, Thank You!), checked the 205 over and was gearing up to pull an engine, when a buddy calls saying there's a '92 or '93 (was a '92) Cummins at a swap meet, that he wants to acquire it and swap me some parts he needs for it.
How opportune!! Just what I needed, WHEN I needed it! :D

So the DamnCharger, bare rolling frame at his point, got a rebuilt 'Raggey, and a bullet of it's same vintage, installed in short order.

Then came the body transfer!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just let me say this much, if you have an 'A' frame, if you have forklifts, if you have a hoist, by all means use any simple options you can, BECAUSE BLOCKING AND JACKSTANDING A BODY OFF AND BACK ON A FRAME SUCKS!!!

I was just glad I was fortuitous enough to buy a 12 foot long 4x4 to help me in the project. ;)

Body on, heart attack chances averted, now comes the heart and soul of what I LIKE to do, which is figuring out what goes where, which wires fit which switches, what screws are CORRECT for the part being affixed, most of it I know by memory.

Next was to remove the dash. "Why?" you might ask.
Because, as complicated as removing/installing a windshield and dash may be, nothing is more irritating, more frustrating than laying on a floor, or dis-assembling a dash,in-frame to install a complete dash wiring.
Besides, this windshield was badly cracked and I'm pretty adept at windshield installs with a screwdriver and soap.
Sometimes no soap.
Seriously. :mrgreen:

Most of you fellows know what putting on a front clip, assembling knick knacks in an engine bay are all about and it all was pretty much basic blah-blah stuff from there on out, hooking up the powersteering, vacuum, hydros for the clutch, throttle cable, etc.

Some of the amenities and liberties, some not yet complete, taken on DamnCharger are:

Installed a BENCH seat.
LE front and STEP rear bumpers.
Tall (gasser auto) 4wd shifter.
Bent Getrag handle.
Dually Suspension (incomplete).
Factory tach (needs installed).
All '92-'93 "NEW takeoff" wiring in dash and engine bay.
Factory painted grille.
Factory "Tow Mirrors", as optioned (not installed).
Later "Infinity" AM-FM-CD player.
Power widows.
Power Locks.
A/C (All there, needs charged).
Cruise (needs finished installed.
Tilt.
3" rear lift blocks, still need installed.

Here are a few general pics;

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Re: PROJECT: DAMNCHARGER

Postby Billy Boy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Mark - Looks good, I love it! That dually rearend really looks mean!
1989 Dodge D350 Dually, Non I/C
Billy Boy
fuel screw!!!!

Postby IowaCummins » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Mark i gotta check this thing out some time! this thing looks friggin beastly! i love it. good work Mark
1993 Dodge W250 Reg cab. Auto, .010" headgasket, A1 Studs. Just the Lil Ole VE pump Fuelin 7x.014's turnin the Aurora 3000 turbo. 5" Turbo back to Duals. :cbadge:
IowaCummins
14mm rotor

Postby Richie O » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Pretty cool. The was a chevy suburban up here last year with duals on it and truck fender flares. Looked good. I think it was a camper hauler.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby oldestof11 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Its gonna live up to its name...

DAMN!!!
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby BobS » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:42 am

Looks good Mark! Will aftermarket fender flares cover the outer rear tires?
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 am

BobS wrote:Looks good Mark! Will aftermarket fender flares cover the outer rear tires?

Bob, it's likely that they will, but I'm looking into having the wheel openings re-worked for the factory installed ones.
I either need a good body man who can cut and splice in a set of dually bed arches I have, or someone with the ability to cut the quaters and roll a new lip on the vehicle.

Surprisingly, the inner set of bolt holes will be easy to do, the dually fenders mount to the inner wheelhouse lips, it's doing the outers so they line up corrrectly that'll prove interesting.

At least I have a set of old dually bedside sections cut off to use as patterns, it will help alot in placement.

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys!

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Richie O » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:42 pm

If it were mine it would have to have a set of 5 inch sidepipes. That thing is cool. :D
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby soggy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:49 pm

It sure is unique, X2 on the sidepipes. 8)
92 W250 VE Powered

13.31@ 98.92

1993 D350 Tow Rig
soggy
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:57 pm

SIDEPIPES...........SIDEPIPES............SIDEPIPES.........SIDEPIPES. :D
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:55 pm

Just took it for a backroad drive to a buddy's place to see how his CrewCab conversion is coming along.
All I gotta' say is: DITCHES! :shock: :shock: :shock:
This damned thing is squirrelier than hell on on anything like rocks or gravel.
This is actually my first experience driving a RamCharger, the wheelbase and the "ride" (Uh-hum!) is definitely gonna' need some getting used to.
The term "Shakedown Run" just took on a new meaning. :mrgreen:

The run back home was nice, PAVEMENT! :D

After I get some little quirks sorted out, I'll look into the fender flare install and sidepipes.
The sidepipe idea has been pondered, but it'd be nice to make the sidepipes double as steps, my butt sits too low to the ground, plus it still needs the front springs re-arched and some 3 inch rear lift blocks.

I'm a practical person, this is an impractical vehicle.
Yeah, it is cool looking (Definitely different), the concept IS outrageous (to a point), but it remains to be seen just how well DamnCharger and I get along.

Cut and dried, I am NOT a 4X4 person, my butt sits too low. :)

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ahale2772 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:54 am

so cool!!!!! lift the rear a bit and it will be mean i think a little higher in the back would look beastly very cool good work!
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue May 04, 2010 8:29 pm

ahale2772 wrote:so cool!!!!! lift the rear a bit and it will be mean i think a little higher in the back would look beastly very cool good work!

I picked up some 6 inch rear lift blocks over the weekend.

That should lift it plenty. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ahale2772 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:10 am

ive got 6 inchers on my truck gives it a good stance, ur gona need like 19 inch long ubolts tho and i think ur gona have to bore out the bottom plates to 5/8ths
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby swampthang » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 pm

very nice mark.. if ya ever make it down this way again bring it down with the bed sides we will get them fenders on for ya. and if you and damcharger dont get along ya know where i live. i am sure me and damcharger would get along just fine lol.. seriously tho if ya ever want to sell holler at me

JC
Bloody Knuckle LLC
Transport,custom fabrication and used parts.

Based out of Halltown Mo 65664

JC
bloodyknucklellc@gmail.com
swampthang
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to Conversions & Builds