24 valve into 91 reg cab w/12 valve auto

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: 24 valve into 91 reg cab w/12 valve auto

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:04 am

I suspect it will be a very unique sounding set-up.
Minus the louder injection noise, yet with the 24 valve's distinct exhause note.

Still trying to come up with a long block that's NOT a 53.
I had an HO '02 located for really, really cheap as a runnable core (high miles), but now the guy won't answer his phone.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ellis93 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:02 am

How likly is the 53 block to bust. My paw-in-laws has not in 260000 miles. That's a lot of heat cycles. I've seen pics of the pin job and the external braces.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:16 am

I've seen a couple broken ones and it's fairly common.
I figure if I'm going to do something like this, might as well get one that's not broken, or has a propensity for being broken.

I could go the hard route and put the pistons and head on a '92 block, but a complete longblock with the lines and such would prove more economical.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby burnt_servo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:59 am

ellis93 wrote:How likly is the 53 block to bust. My paw-in-laws has not in 260000 miles. That's a lot of heat cycles. I've seen pics of the pin job and the external braces.

i did a bunch of research on this about a years ago because my parts truck and my dads '98 dually both have that block .

basicly the blocks are the same strength hp wise ( meaning that the hp needed to make the block come apart is the same )
the only difference is they have a thin spot in the side that can crack and weep coolant .

there are a few different kits out there to fix them , and they are basicly the same a drilling and taping the crack and inserting a tapered plug , but overlaping the previous plug to keep it from turning . then the last plug gets a small tack weld to hold it in place.
'93 w250 .... stock ...
curently removing the dead moose parts ....
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Conversions & Builds