Building a Crew Conversion

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Building a Crew Conversion

Postby BobS » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:16 am

Scout4life wrote:I saw someone mentioned converting the 2wd. How hard would that be? i have a 91.5 W250 reg cab, and i found an 85 2wd. so i have all the parts i need. id just have to mount the leaves in the front, and the #1,2,3 crossmembers right? anyone done this? looking for guideance.

I posted this info in the "frame differences" or "specifications" posting that is on here. Yes, it's a lot of work even with the body off and the engine removed.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Since you have a donor truck, you have the answers to the hole location problems right there.
You also have every part you need to do it.
It's really as simple as transferring the front spring brackets from the 4wd to the 2wd frame, as these are probably the most universally located holes on the front of the frame, AND a very good starting point to using the springs themselves as a start to locating the rear mounting points.
It has been said that ONE pair of the 4 pairs of bolt holes for the engine crossmember is located where the crossmember needs to be.
Technically, you could "guess and by golly" it from there on the engine crossmember.

Locating the trans crossmember on a 4wd is really a matter of bolting the crossmember to the transmission, jacking it up (engine all secured properly), centering it equidistant side to side, marking and drilling the bolt holes.
The UPPER 4x4 trans supports are slightly more troublesome, but can be laid out, and drilled from underneath, but, if you are a purist, you'll need to jack the cab up to put the bolts in from the top, as stock does.

FYI, if you remove the engine and front crossmember, it's possible to slip the engine crossmember into the frame by flexing both framerails outward slightly to allow clearance for the 4x4 engine crossmember to work into place.

I have an '85 CrewCab that I have been contemplating this conversion on, but, IMO, a 4wd longbed Crew is not a practical mud/snow rig and I like being practical. 8)

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Fastback66 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Scout4life wrote:I saw someone mentioned converting the 2wd. How hard would that be? i have a 91.5 W250 reg cab, and i found an 85 2wd. so i have all the parts i need. id just have to mount the leaves in the front, and the #1,2,3 crossmembers right? anyone done this? looking for guideance.

Been there, done that.It's not bad but a little more involved than what you stated. Basically your on the right track though.I converted my 2wd 1978 440/auto crew cab long box into a 4wd 1979 Cummins/auto crew cab long box. Did it mostly outside and with a lot of help in two months working weeknights and weekends. Still have a few wrinkles to iron out. The 4wd conversion was easy, the crossmembers sucked.

Vinny
78 D-200 Crew cab LWB converted to 4wd then converted to Diesel. 366 spring, custom pin, timing to head and pump tweaked.
75 W-100 SWB step side under construction. Soon to be 318 magnum/518 auto.
66 Charger 383/auto
71 Chrysler Newport hardtop 4dr. 360/727. Need drivers side body panels if ya got some.
Fastback66
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Fastback66 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:23 pm

Fastback66 wrote:

Been there, done that.It's not bad but a little more involved than what you stated. Basically your on the right track though.I converted my 2wd 1978 440/auto crew cab long box into a 4wd 1979 Cummins/auto crew cab long box. Did it mostly outside and with a lot of help in two months working weeknights and weekends. Still have a few wrinkles to iron out. The 4wd conversion was easy, the crossmembers sucked.

Vinny

Hopefully this link works.

http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 ... cab%20CTD/

Vinny
78 D-200 Crew cab LWB converted to 4wd then converted to Diesel. 366 spring, custom pin, timing to head and pump tweaked.
75 W-100 SWB step side under construction. Soon to be 318 magnum/518 auto.
66 Charger 383/auto
71 Chrysler Newport hardtop 4dr. 360/727. Need drivers side body panels if ya got some.
Fastback66
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Vinny,
So nice of you to share pics of the truck and your work.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby 92 D350 coal roller » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:52 am

I am wanting the same thing just finding a crew cab is difficult I wanna buy a crewcab short bed so I don't have to hack the frame all up if I can't get the swb cc I will add the required 16" to the frame and instead of putting the lwb frame back in get a d150 swb and attach the frame of it and swap it all over to the 3/4 drive terrain
92 D350 coal roller
fuel pin?

Postby simplysmn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:38 pm

I know some won't agree with me but it's a heck of alot Easier to do a Body lift then it is to Cut the floor up and have less Foot Space my first crewcab had a 3 in body lift and we rolled it and only bent 2 bolt's on the whole truck body work was crushed but we both walked out of it .On the New crewcab i custom Built a 2 in body lift and trust me it saves alot of hassel's
As for swap to 4x it's really easy below is what I have done so far

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae26 ... 4-Copy.jpg

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae26 ... 52_874.jpg
follow my other Post about my crewcab build will try to add more Pictures of all the work sometimes it's hard when you work by yourself .
simplysmn
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Conversions & Builds