How badly am I screwed?

All of 'em

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O, MUDDY

How badly am I screwed?

Postby meby » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:30 pm

I discovered today that the oil fill tube on my Jetta diesel came off and has been spewing oil. It was well over two quarts low. I'm getting a lot of metallic rattles from the engine. It's been making the noise for several weeks now. The motor still runs and hasn't affected power (that I can tell). Am I looking at a top end rebuild or worse? :cry:

Edit: the noise sounds kinda like valves.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Re: How badly am I screwed?

Postby oldestof11 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Hydraulic lifters are probably low on oil. Fill it up and see if it still there.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:35 pm

^this. recently bought the wife a car. it had a bad from the top end. The engine in her car had a known issue with the rockers and I planned on getting the upgraded kit. However, after changing the oil and discovering that it was low, the rattle has dissappeared now that it has the correct oil level in it.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Oil already done. I think the low oil thing is a coincidence as the low oil light never came on. I had somebody else listen to it and we're thinking its not the motor, but maybe the a/c compressor. I guess its a good thing I bought a vacuum pump and manifold gauges to do the a/c on my truck. I think its pouring right now. (:
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Found the problem. The stud that holds the clutch on the a/c in place broke. Every time it rotated, it hit the stud making a nasty racket. I don't usually say this after spending $400 bucks to fix it, but thank God it was only the compressor and not the motor.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Return to Other diesels