FSS Problem

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

FSS Problem

Postby captmatthew1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:29 am

i have read several posts about FSS plungers that have met their demise, but none have had the same symptom as mine. im sure i just havent been reading the right posts, but im also sure someone has the answer :D

when i shut down the truck i have a reduction in RPM. but here is the part thats not making sense to me. this changes with the temperature of the engine, resulting in the RPM reducing more as the engine heats up. once the engine reaches operating temperature, it shuts down properly.

is this a common problem that just requires replacement/bypass? i have obviously turned up the pump and whatnot and expected it to go south anyways, but thought when the FSS stopped working it didnt work at all.
1992 W250 5 speed, pump maxxed, 366 spring, caravan seats, white gauges, more to come.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Re: FSS Problem

Postby PToombs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Mine flutters down sometimes too. When I shut it off it drops the idle, and sometimes quits and sometimes not. I don't have a rubber tip on mine anymore, that was an early casualty. ;) It does it more when hot, I'm not sure if the plunger is hanging or if the fuel coming in is holding it open.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby captmatthew1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:04 pm

now i have kinda resorted to stalling it with the clutch when its cold, but i dont like to do that. would like it to work correctly. looks like i will just have to pull it apart one of these days and see what is going on in there.
1992 W250 5 speed, pump maxxed, 366 spring, caravan seats, white gauges, more to come.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Fuel pushing the plunger open would indicate a weak spring, wouldn't it? Do new solenoids have a spring built into them?
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:13 pm

You have the solenoid, the spring and the plunger. If you buy a new one you get all 3 pieces. You could try stretching the spring and see if that helps if the tip is ok.

I'm not surprised that Levi doesn't remember what's in there, his has been missing for a long time. And he sometimes imbibes a little. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby captmatthew1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 pm

i will give that a shot. would probably be a good idea before it starts getting too much colder. haha
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:58 pm

I've never dealt with one, dad got that truck new and he took the FSS off when I was really little. I remember him putting it in park, taking the keys, and leaving it out idling for hours while he went into this old gas station and shot the sthi with all the old guys that hung out in there.

You definitely need to get it handled before it gets really cold, shrinkage issues are notorious but they probably won't be that bad unless you get it in any cold water. :mrgreen:
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby captmatthew1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:28 pm

You definitely need to get it handled before it gets really cold, shrinkage issues are notorious but they probably won't be that bad unless you get it in any cold water.
:lol:

well since i have an abundance of time since i have been off work, maybe i will take care of it tomorrow. the bad thing about that, is since i have been off of work for 3 months now, i dont feel terribly compelled to do anything. lol
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:01 pm

I know that feeling! I had 5 days off for Thanksgiving and monday almost killed me! I can't wait for Christmas and New Years! :mrgreen:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff