turned fuel pin, now no boost...

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

turned fuel pin, now no boost...

Postby 12vsuburban » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:10 pm

I have a '92 with minor mods. internally stock, WH1C from a '94, still stock downpipe, but 4" from there on out. Bigass airfilter, previous owner had put a brand new injection pump on it and just turned the fuel screw to the collar. looks like smoke screw has been turned a bit, no clue on star wheel. I just put on the WH1C this week and made a huge improvement , especially down low from the 21cm stock turbo. I dont have a EGT yet but boost was at 24-25psi max with the new turbo. The wastegate is not hooked up. SO, tonight I decided to look at the fuel pin as I didnt know what position it was in. the dot was toward the block, so fairly stockish. I turned it about 90deg clockwise so its facing rearwards now and the steep side of the concentric toward the front. after doing this it will hit about 10psi and flatten out. Seems maybe a hair more responsive right off idle before it flattens out. I took off the cover again to check all was ok, and looks fine. the pin in the front stays pushed in when i pull up the fuel pin...should it do this I guess? what pushed it out against the fuel pin? I could NOT see any line where the pin was riding on the fuel pin as I could when I took it out...
'92 one ton,auto, 250k,flatbed,original paint: WH1C turbo from a '94(12/56), BHAF, 4" exh from firewall back, fuel screw to the collar, turned stock pin
12vsuburban
fuel screw!!!!

Re: turned fuel pin, now no boost...

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Sounds like you broke the hard line from the head to the injection pump. The boost reference line.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby 12vsuburban » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 pm

yeah, when I took the banjo bolt out it was tweaked, so I was REAL careful tightening it back up, I could feel it start to give so I quit. I probably dont have enough crush on the copper washers, but still wouldn't think it could leak that much. Is that thin walled banjo bolt readily available or any crossovers? I'm in Houston so would think I could find one. not convinced thats what it is though, yet..But I did go out and check that again, both sides of the line are tight.
'92 one ton,auto, 250k,flatbed,original paint: WH1C turbo from a '94(12/56), BHAF, 4" exh from firewall back, fuel screw to the collar, turned stock pin
12vsuburban
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Most just change over to a plastic type line and retap the afc top.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby 12vsuburban » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 pm

but even at 10-12psi, shouldnt I be able to see where the pin is riding up and down the fuel pin? I can see no marks whatsoever. can the pin get stuckwhen removing the fuel pin/diaphram?
12vsuburban
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Why yes it can. Pull the pin and move the throttle wide open,you should see the pin stick out in the fuel pin bore.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 12vsuburban » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:27 pm

thats what I was just out doing. it doesn't poke out at all. I went full throttle several times...Nuttin Honey. I dont see how you guys are getting that plug out the front, that thing would have to have 2 threads on it to be able to unscrew it with the throttle shaft and do dads in the way. I would understand this from an old pump maybe, but this thing is like new...oh well. I can't do much more tonight. I need some really skinny bent needle nose pliers to grab it from the fuel pin bore and pull it out...I sprayed some PB Blaster on it best I could and put it back together. I have to be somewhere at 5am...guess ill NOT be haulin ass there....maybe it will loosen itself with driving as some others have experienced...
12vsuburban
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:40 am

I've seen 2 or 3 different throttle set ups on these Dodges. If I were to guess, your's comes apart by taking off a threaded screw with an allen key? I'd take the throttle lever off after carefully marking the indexing, pull the plug out, and tap the lever that the pin actuated by several times. Work it back and forth a few times with some spray oil and that generally fixes it.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby 12vsuburban » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:42 am

Just to update, it freed itself and all good. Two things made a HUGE power difference....turned the stock pin to full guff AND saw where the PO had a new inj pump installed the guys tightened the front fuel line so the throttle hit it at about 3/4 throttle...it pulls very hard now , zero smoke at any stage and will hit 28 or so psi lickety split...;) I think I'll leave it here for now as its the DD and twice as powerful as before. Mileage went up after adding the turbo and pump tweaks from 15 mpg to 19.
12vsuburban
fuel screw!!!!

Return to The good stuff