Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Hybrid turbo time

Postby earthdad » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Whats broken on your hx? Why oil leak?
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:56 am

earthdad wrote:Whats broken on your hx? Why oil leak?

It's kicking oil out of the compressor. Who knows why. The previous owner could have roasted the seals when he heated the bolts to get it off of his truck, he may have never let the hot oil run out when he shut it off, I don't know. He wanted $75, so I checked shaft play and said deal.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby earthdad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:53 am

Yeah, there is an oring under the seal plate. But thats the only rubber part that I'm aware of. Check out this diagram. It was easy to rebuild. The hardest part was cleaning the heatshield and the turbine shaft that gets coked up. I would think that buildup combined with a worn piston ring(on the turbine shaft) could allow some exhaust pressure in also. U can get a hx40 wheel and housing for $195, plus a little more if you have the backplate machined out.

http://baeturbosystems.com/turboservice ... 1-2-1.aspx
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:38 pm

I may have to pop the compressor off yet again to measure the exducer. There's a chance that I won't have to machine the back plate. BAE is alot cheaper that the diesel shops, that's for sure. I may just have to be the guniea pig on this one.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby earthdad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Its prob an 83mm exducer if its stock. I got the 62mm x 86mm. I also bought a new bearing housing that was already machined for the 86mm exducer. I prob should have done the 60mm instead of the 62mm. So, I ended up with a 62/60/16 non gated,,,,which people tell me is a combination that may cause surging. It spools(starts to build boost at about 1600rpm). With 5x.014 injectors 3200spring, I get peak about 32psi. I don't know if these numbers are good or not. This is my first cummins, first mods. I do know it seems to be twice as fast as it was when I drove it home stock. I have let off of the throttle abruptly a few times and have heard no sign of bark. From a dead stop, I am not sure i may hear like a quack if I floor it once it spools. I have heard that shouldnt be done, one should go for a boosted launch.
Housings, rebuild kit and machine work all add up no matter how you look at it though. You may just be able to get a new seal plate($20 and o-ring). I have heard to buy only the original Holset rebuild kits. I dont know, I have about 4,000 miles on this with BAE's version. There doesent reall appear to be anything rocket science in there. 2 journal bearings, snap rings. oild slingers??? Any how, I talked to Bob from Bae on the phone tell him what you want/need, you may save a little bit. If you want I could take some videos of driving at certain rpm with the egts and boost and stuff if it helps. I forgot if you had an intercooler or not, may make a difference.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii4 ... ken-Turbo/
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:19 pm

I appreciate your willingness to help. I agree that you pay alot for the name, whether it be Cummins, Holset, or Dodge. I think the Holset parts are marginally better, but at the level I'm at, that margin could be beyond me. Boost numbers don't mean much to me, as I don't have a boost gauge :lol: I do have a 2nd gen IC installed.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby earthdad » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 am

What gauges do u have? Got a Trip gauge pod w egt boost and temp at summit for like $170 or something. What have you decided to do?
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:49 am

I have no gauges. I'm letting it ride because I don't want to spent the money right now, but I may buy parts this weekend. I have an eye out for a 3 bottom plow and depending on whether or not I buy one this weekend will determine what I do. I'll pop the compressor off maybe today and find out for sure what my compressor wheel measures out at because that'll affect the price of my decision too.

Assuming I don't buy a plow (and probably if I do anyway), I'll get a reseal kit for sure and maybe a compressor upgrade depending on measurements from BAE. I have the week after next off and that would be a prime time to dig into it.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Good news. I popped the compressor cover off today and found no oil inside the intercooler pipes or turbo elbow. See, if you ignore the problem, it will in fact go away :lol: The brake spring tool that earthdad suggested does a great job on the snap ring for the back of the HX.

Measurements: 57-58mm inducer and 83mm exducer. In deed, you can get a 60mm in and 83mm out wheel (http://baeturbosystems.com/60mmx83mm.aspx) and then you'd have to order a separate housing to accomodate said wheel. Or the seller may be willing to wheel and deal, who knows.

I like the way the HX35 drives, so I'm not going to mess with it until I have a reason to. I'm rocking this HX until it disappoints me because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Case closed. My build may just be over and I never started a build thread. Does it still count? :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Oh yea, I didn't buy a plow. There weren't any fast hitch plows at the sale, but there is another one on the 24th :mrgreen:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:58 pm

cmann250 wrote: Does it still count? :lol:

Nope. As far as I can tell it doesn't even count after 70+ pages. I hope to know where the bar is set before too much longer though, I'll be sure to let you know.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby earthdad » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 am

Awesome. Glad it "fixed itself". I was gunna ask what boost your running with the 35 and the 12cm2, but I just remembered you dont have gauges :lol: I picked up a hx40 16cm2 gated housing for $50, so I can experiment with some different turbine shafts/wheels.
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:06 am

earthdad wrote:Awesome. Glad it "fixed itself". I was gunna ask what boost your running with the 35 and the 12cm2, but I just remembered you dont have gauges :lol: I picked up a hx40 16cm2 gated housing for $50, so I can experiment with some different turbine shafts/wheels.

If it's a 7 blade compressor wheel, I'm jealous :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby earthdad » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:52 pm

No, it was just a gated turbine housing, I bought. I have been running a hx40 compressor with a 62mm 7 blade and bored out housing (you might have seen them on BAE's site) with a non gated 16cm h1c/hx35. I figured it would be better to have true 4" out and not I can run a larger turbine. Lots to choose from, a 70 x 60 , 70 x 62, 76 x 64, 70 x 64 10 blade or twelve blades. Hopefully I will be able to use it(the gated 16) for compounds.

So what are all the spect on a super 40? 60/65/16? What size turbine inducer do the use? # of blades?
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to The good stuff