Hx35/ht3b compounds issues help!!!

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Hx35/ht3b compounds issues help!!!

Postby cummins12club » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:26 am

What kind of air filters ate you guys running?
cummins12club
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins12club » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Ok so got the oil drains all done and all new silicone boots but still have an issue it's pullin hard up untill 40 psi and it just doesn't feel right it just kinda hangs out at 40psi and doesn't pull at all I don't have any boost leaks or so I though I just remembered that I left four or so of the front housing bolts on the ht3b loose and I hear an air leak sound from over their this is probably my issue right?
cummins12club
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BILTIT » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Whats your fuel pressure and pump setup?
Derek B.
2003 QuadCab, Tater 62/65 341cw, Smarty Touch SW9, Full Billet trans.
91.5 W250, coolertubz, HE351CW, PS IC, Alcans, GVOD, Valair DD, bags, crossover.
1974 Pontiac Ventura,best of 11.97 at 112 so far.
Aluminum heads and roller cam on the way.
BILTIT
14mm rotor

Postby earthdad » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:06 pm

You still didnt torque down those bolts! ;) From what I have been reading is, those threads are not blind, could be they pass into the compressor chamber. Just saw another thread where a guy found a missing bolt on his ht3b while doing a boost leakdown test. His egt's were high. What have yours been?
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins12club » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 am

At wide open throttle they jump up to 1200 super quick I always let out of it at 1200 that's probably my egt issue too I know I'm a dumby for forgetting those lol on a project when ur making everything from scratch and uve never done this it's easy for me to forget a thing or too lol
cummins12club
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm running a big napa dry filter. After using my old k&n for a week, it seemed clogged with dust in my area. Upon removal for cleaning I looked at the compressor wheel and it was coated with the filter oil of he k&n. I actually gained 5 psi of boost going from a k&n to factory replacement wix as well. So I'd stay with a dry filter if it was me. One with alot of cfm capability.
Now with your boost issue I'd definitely check all the housing/flange bolts. I found my boost to be lower than it was with a stock hx35. Turned out to be big drive pressure leak. Power gain and egt drop is hoped for when my new turbo parts come.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby cummins12club » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:55 am

well i tightened those bolts up and still only build 40psi even w pluging the top charger wastegate im still only looking at 40psi i dont understand i do not have my air filer on is it possible that is an issue? i have a friend w a p pumped 24v w twins and if he takes his air filter off it builds really low boost runs like crap and is crazy smokey but when the filter is on its fine is this a possibility?
cummins12club
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:18 am

You will see more boost without an air filter since there is no restriction. What are the other mods to the truck? At 40psi is there any smoke? Fill out your sig with your mods. Need to know more about your setup.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cummins12club » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Ok here's what's done: pump; Denny t stage 2 fuel pin starwheel bottomed out, fuel screw close to runaway, cut AFC lever, smoke screw bottomed, 4200rpm Bosch gov spring, custom cut delivery valves, new stock lift pump, stock lines and injectors, hx35/ht3b, stock A518 tranni 3.73 gears w 33s basically stock truck other then pump oh yea 4 inch straight pipe
cummins12club
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:24 pm

It may be a dumb question, but have you ever gave the throttle a stab and checked for any smoke puffs under your hood? My truck looked like a smoke machine before I ended up taking it all down recently. Drive pressure leaks are just as bad as boost leaks, so if you've got any it'll really mess with your boost.

Honestly though, it sounds like a lack of fuel to me. I don't know if you've mentioned what year your truck is but a stock LP and injectors probably ain't the best setup to spin twins. Not to take random stabs, but I'd guess you're sucking your LP dry and the pump is going retarded and contributing to the high EGTs.

Maybe. :/
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:32 pm

I agree with Taco that you don't have the fuel to really spool them. On stock injectors and lift pump 40 psi seems about right. Be nice if you knew what each charger was pushing boost wise.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cummins12club » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:39 pm

well i did a burnout once and did see quite a bit of smoke must have a leake at the top charger to mani or hot pipe to bottom charger, also i know im sucking the LP dry cause on a WOT run through all gears it will lope really bad once back to idle to the point that it will try to die if you dont give it some fuel, my trucks a 93 so you guys think a good fuel system and a set of 5x14s would get me where i need to be?
cummins12club
fuel screw!!!!

Postby AHineman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:58 pm

What do you do with the truck?

If you don't plan on towing heavy, a set of 6x.016s would be manageable with those twins.

As for the fuel system...
I had a low pressure piston lift pump with stock lines, maxed pump and 6x.016s at one time. If you really got on the truck it would do the lope, barely run thing you're talking about. After a few thousand miles of that, the old VE took a crap. Now I have a fuel sump, 1/2" lines, and an Airdog to go along with my new pump. Not to mention a fuel pressure gauge. ;)

Oh, and your stock trans is going to hate life even more once you get this thing running right. :lol:
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby cummins12club » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm

I don't wanna run a 6 hole injector for the reason that the bowl on a 12v excpecially a ve doesn't work w a 6 hole and at different timing settings the spray pattern can actually miss the bowl and as for the tranni w as much abuse as I've given it i don't understand how it doesn't slip or even work lol it has been through hundreds of harsh burnouts continuous drag racing w boosted 4wd launches and even a sled pull it has to have an aftermarket torque converter atleast even if its just a cheesy Transtar tripple disc only rated for 800 ftlbs I have no clue though
cummins12club
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Oh God, before they start the flaying I'll go ahead and say the current, top fuel-only HP with a VE is using a 6-hole injector. That has less to do with the number of holes and more to do with the spray angle of the tip itself. You could have a 12 hole or a 2 hole injector and if the angle is set too wide for the timing it'll miss the bowl regardless.

If you've got a leak on your exhaust side you'll need to get it fixed one way or another. Besides that fact that you're leaking off essential pressure to spool your setup, it'll also completely wreck your air filter with soot in about a week of hard driving. I'm quick-replying, so I didn't see your actual goals, but if you're just making a street toy a set of 5x14-18's or 6x16's would be plenty. The 14's would be at the low end of the spectrum in terms of pushing a set f twins, but they would probably be the easiest to keep tame when trying not to haze all over the old lady parked beside you in traffic.

Buying a quality injector from a reputable shop will go just as far as any starwheel tuning in trying to make your truck drivable.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff