building a ve puller

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: building a ve puller

Postby turboram » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:59 am

How about this take a stock ve motor and a 320 hp v8 gas small cube in the same chassis put 20,000# behind it pick a gear that gets you up to lets say 50 mph and now you must start in that gear and accelerate to that speed as fast as possible then as soon as you hit 50 there is a 20% grade what one will accelerate faster and what one will maintain speed longer on the hill before stall out

Edit I wont argue anymore as I dont have a truck that wins every time out, just my theory no proof as I wouldn't be able to install a huge diesel in a pickup because of rules prohibiting that
turboram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:27 am

No one is arguing that torque is not what pulls.

However thers is a big difference between pavement and dirt. Wheel speed helps on dirt. And we are not talking about gassers vs diesels. We are talking diesel vs diesel. They all have torque and a lot of it..... hp though is what it takes to get good wheel speed. Therefore if there are 2 750torque motors.... and one has 300hp and one has 400hp... the one with 400hp will win (all else equal) due to the gearing affect that the higher hp motor can produce.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:09 pm

If you have a decent hooking tire accelerating the sled early with the appropriate wheel speed, you have the momentum to keep that sled going the extra 100 or so feet when the pan drops.

Wheel speed is just as important as power, but if you have a lot of one, you will lose.

Look at the truck the are built to pull. You know damn well they have a crap load more torque than we do. If torque is what moved that pan at 8000lbs, then they would get transfer cases with 6:1 or better low range.

Also, this VE is a low RPM fuelling pump is just ludacris. If you had a VP, CR, or P-pump with just our base timing, you can bet the would be a "low rpm" pump. Look at what the p-pumped racers and puller are using to help carry more than 3000 rpms for power. They have timing in the 20-30* range. Stock, the 94-95 160hp p-pumps had low timing and same hp/torque ratings. You cannot tell me we cannot run higher timing because our pumps are a "low rpm" pump.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Is there ANYONE out there pulling 400HP out of a stock VE?
No? Why? Because it won't fuel it.
The VE is a dog for top end fueling, but it makes up for it by being good on the low end grunt, just gear taller.

The VE pulls hills just fine, it pulls sleds just fine, all while fueling BEST at low RPMS, where torque is needed.

Even a dumbass like me knows the best thing to pull with is something that makes the best torque down low, BUT there's only so fuel you can move with a limited design like a pump with 1 barrel to feed 6 cylinders.
Want to make REAL impressive numbers AND pull off the line hard?

Invent reliable Dynamic timing for a P-7100.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:38 pm

What do you consider a stock ve?
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:Is there ANYONE out there pulling 400HP out of a stock VE?
No? Why? Because it won't fuel it.
The VE is a dog for top end fueling, but it makes up for it by being good on the low end grunt, just gear taller.

The VE pulls hills just fine, it pulls sleds just fine, all while fueling BEST at low RPMS, where torque is needed.

Even a dumbass like me knows the best thing to pull with is something that makes the best torque down low, BUT there's only so fuel you can move with a limited design like a pump with 1 barrel to feed 6 cylinders.
Want to make REAL impressive numbers AND pull off the line hard?

Invent reliable Dynamic timing for a P-7100.

Mark.

Mark, take a truck to a sled pull, pull the AFC foot so you have full fueling, and put it in 1st gear low 4wd. See how far you get. I doubt you will get further than 100ft.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:05 pm

A "stock" VE is what it implies, none of the wizardry beyond the typical "enhancements", like a fuel pin, spring, better lift pump, etc.
But if you want the truest form of "stock", that would be as delivered from the factory.
If you're stuck with that idea, I'd suggest a Non-Intercooled truck. :P

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Well... if one counts fuel screw, gov spring, and fuel pin..... 99% of 400hp ve's are considered stock.

But I don't follow what a stock ve has anything to do with the conversation. A stock p pump doesn't produce much more than a stock ve
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Lets play a game. How about we not FUBAR every VE pulling thread that comes up. Obviously we can't handle it.

I like pulling and informative threads like this, but everytime the rampant speculation over runs fact.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:56 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:Well... if one counts fuel screw, gov spring, and fuel pin..... 99% of 400hp ve's are considered stock.

But I don't follow what a stock ve has anything to do with the conversation. A stock p pump doesn't produce much more than a stock ve

WHICH stock P-pump are you referring to?
215HP is a fair shake more than 160HP, not that it's really all that much more usable.
My 1996 215HP 3/4 ton really didn't "feel" any more powerful than my old VE powered 5 speed truck and the VE would out pull it from a start with the same load.

And WHO is getting 400HP out of a VE without enhancements beyond the simple tuning of the pump that we typically discuss here?

cmann250 wrote:Lets play a game. How about we not FUBAR every VE pulling thread that comes up. Obviously we can't handle it.

I like pulling and informative threads like this, but everytime the rampant speculation over runs fact.

Puhleeese!
Some people don't question the information ENOUGH, then get all pissed off at bad results when they do something some schmoe on these forums
said to do while the "expert" is leaving out some critical information.

Mark.
Last edited by Mark Nixon on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Nixon

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Are you referring to stock internals of the ve pump? Then everyone. Or do you mean with stock injectors and turbo as well.

My pump internally was completely stock at the time of dyno.... Minus a fuel pin, gov spring and cranking on the screws.

There is really no one out there that has altered the internals of the pump all of that much ( if at all). I mean yes some grind the afc foot and do some "voodoo" but in reality no one is gaining 50hp out of these things...... or any at all.

All in all I don't believe I am following what you mean by stock ve pump with pump mods..... I feel I must be missing something that you are saying about it.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:Puhleeese!
Some people don't question the information ENOUGH, then get all pissed off at bad results when they do something some schmoe on these forums

Mark.

I am calling you out on this one. You're afraid to turn the power screw, much less do anything competitive yet you are throwing out there what "should" work vs some people have done it.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby turboram » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Wow sorry for starting this derail
turboram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:53 pm

oldestof11 wrote:
Mark Nixon wrote:Puhleeese!

Mark.

I am calling you out on this one. You're afraid to turn the power screw, much less do anything competitive yet you are throwing out there what "should" work vs some people have done it.

You're not going to bait me in, Jon. :P

turboram wrote:Wow sorry for starting this derail

No apology needed as far as I'm concerned.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:You're not going to bait me in, Jon. :P
Mark.

Have you ever pulled a sled? Answer and then I will drop it.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff