Postby ahale2772 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 pm

awww mannn....that would have been way cooler if the shroud was steel
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Re: S300 works, now to cool it.

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Finally got water moving through this setup today.

A much nicer piping setup was found once I removed my head from my ass. :lol: The water itself has stayed ice cold in the return pipe to the reservoir, even after about 7 40psi runs for about 1/4 mile. I'm using the windshield washer reservoir as the reservoir for the IC, since it's in such a good place for it. It's not exactly the prettiest thing around, but my truck never has been so I see no need to make this setup look perfect either.

On the performance aspect, it has been raining all day so between that and the open rear end, it's kind of hard to judge. It does feel faster, but I'll have to wait for a better day to see if it is. EGT reductions? I don't really know. I haven't had a pyro in the truck for a while now. It was a Westach that was bad somehow and I sent it back recently to get worked on. It didn't really tell me anything anyhow, I could peg the 1500* gauge with the stock sticks, so I just assume it's still pegged. :lol:
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Re: N/IC, finally ICed?

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun May 22, 2011 11:56 am

Well, I'm bringing this back from the dead, again.

I've been having some pyro issues and haven't really had much faith in it, but after getting it back last time it seems to have a pretty good idea where it's supposed to be at. Only problem is, it's about 200* lower at cruise, and 300+ at WOT. I assumed at first, that they pyro was still bad, and exchanged a few more e-mails with the fellows at Westach, but after double checking everything out, I think the temps might actually be down that much. :D

I remember the truck cruising at around 650-700*, with the cranked pump and stock sticks. Now, it cruises from 400-550* at 80mph. (5x14s and pump de-tuned to same SOP as before) I used to have to let it idle for a bit, regardless of running conditions, to get it under 400* to shut the engine down . Now, it is pretty much at 350 before I can even get the truck stopped, and I just have to idle the turbo down.

WOT operation, I'm not sure on the exact reductions. My old pyro only went to 1300*, and I could peg it easily 3/4s of the way through a 3rd gear pull. I now struggle to break 1000*, even through a long 4thg gear pull. Literally, I've only seen it waver to 1100 once. I'm not sure how much over 1300* it was, but it's nice to see it down this much.

Almost makes me want to crank the pump the rest of the way up. :twisted:

One more pic, just because. Mr Nixon has got some new(er) reservoirs heading my way, so I'll have my washer fluid stuff back and can re-locate my IC reservoir elsewhere.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Sun May 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Very nice Levi. Too bad we're going to have to rip that piping out when we do your twins. :lol:
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun May 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Yeah, as you can see by the clamps, those pipes are a bit too long. I don't want to cut them, because I know this setup isn't going to be on there long.

I was actually considering just going to the local semi parts store, buying a bunch of 3, 4, and 5" elbows, dumping them under the hood, and just telling people I had twins on it.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Sun May 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:Yeah, as you can see by the clamps, those pipes are a bit too long. I don't want to cut them, because I know this setup isn't going to be on there long.

I was actually considering just going to the local semi parts store, buying a bunch of 3, 4, and 5" elbows, dumping them under the hood, and just telling people I had twins on it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Is that what you think my setup looks like? If you want any help with yours, be nice when you answer. :lol:
Andrew

AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun May 22, 2011 12:53 pm

AHineman wrote:Is that what you think my setup looks like?

Of course not, don't be ridiculous.

I'd have to pain them all brown first. :lol:
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Sun May 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:I'd have to pain them all brown first. :lol:

CUMMINS BIEGE! :lol:
Andrew

AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu May 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Looking through my old posts to win an argument with A.Haterman, and found this:

Tacoclaw wrote:
I've had the turbo on for about a month. In my non-intercooled auto truck with a turned up pump and ground fuel pin, it spools faster than the old H1C and holds about the same EGT at cruise (500*), but it seems to hit 1000* really easily on acceleration. It gets to 1000* pretty quickly, but takes quite a while to get hotter than that after that point. In a run to 85mph (governed speed) it will just barely edge up to 1400*.

One thing I noticed though, was that it took a lot less time to get below 300* once you were idling it before shutdown. It also seems to idle cooler period.

This was before I unhooked the internal 'gate, but I'd say this IC has definitely helped out. In all fairness, "cruise" back then was 55, since it wouldn't get above 80.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Re: Next stage- Twins Questions (last page)

Postby Tacoclaw » Sat May 28, 2011 8:04 am

Alright, guys. After this dyno I'm going to in Hebron in a couple of weeks, Heinaman and I are going to start the twins on my truck. I currently have a 38mm external wastegate on the exhaust manifold. My intentions were to leave the internal 'gate unhooked, and run this one into the hotpipe. Then, purchase another 38mm 'gate, or two, and run it around the big boy as well.

This is strictly a play truck, no pulling, no serious racing, yearly dyno just to see how it's doing. I would like to have extremely quick spoolup, with very controlled gating at 60PSI. I'm trying to shy away from headwork, studs, or the like.

Heinaman says to keep it simple, which I agree with, and run the external gate into the downpipe and use the internal 'gate for the small turbo. Any thoughts on how this would perform? Am I just wasting $250-$500 on external gates?

Turbos will be a S300 62/65/12 over an S475 with a 1.32 exh. housing

My truck currently has a turned-up pump(not maxed anymore, probably a turn or so out on fuel screw, with all the other screws/wheels way out) 5x14 injectors, seemingly competent air-to-water intercooler with 3" piping to the intake. I'm on the trail of some aftercooled injector lines, so a better intake setup could be made at some time. I'll have to choke the DP back down to a 4", or hammer a 5" into submission to get around the transfer case.

Anything I forgot that's relevant to this, let me know and I'll go find out. Thanks in advance for the input.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby JQmile » Sat May 28, 2011 8:19 am

You don't need all those wastegates unless you're planning on running a ton of nitrous. On my truck with 5x14 DDP's I would hit 35 psi.....with 6x16s (and no timing) I would blow through the internal gate and hit 50psi. Putting a 38mm external on got me back down to 35psi, and even with two stages of nitrous (and both gates open) it only hits 50psi. You have to remember this is non-intercooled boost pressure, so it would be about 10psi lower with an intercooler. I would just wastegate the external to the hot pipe for the big charger and call it good. I would believe the drop in EGT with the intercooler. They're not on every single modern diesel for no reason!! :mrgreen:

Edit: On the dyno you might want to try maxing your pump and shutting your wastegate just to see what it will do with the boost and fuel maxed. I gained 100hp on my truck by going from 35psi to 60psi on my 62/65/14.
1989 D250 2wd. Scheid 14mm VE pump and 5x25's, J&H Performance 47RH trans with Suncoast manual valvebody, dual wastegates, 62/65/14 S300, NX Dual Stage nitrous, 487 on fuel, 972 on the jug.
JQmile
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Sat May 28, 2011 8:51 am

With most setups I would say run the external gate to the hotpipe. I only recommended exhausting it to the downpipe because your so set on only making 60 psi no matter what. With your fueling, if you set your internal gate at about 25, and then the external gate at 60, the external gate will rarely open. I think you'll make more power dumping to the hotpipe, but it will be a little more tuning to set up the max boost.
Andrew

AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sat May 28, 2011 10:47 am

Well, I'm more than willing to spring the $$ for another 'gate if having the 38 dumping into the hotpipe would make a noticeable increase in spoolup. I don't have anything personal against the internal gate, I'm just looking to get the fastest spoolup I can.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Sat May 28, 2011 11:25 am

I still think two wastegates are overkill for the fuel you plan to run, let alone three. SNOOT does fine with NO wastegate. Most people using the turbos you have run only the internal gate.
Andrew

AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sat May 28, 2011 11:52 am

Alrighty, I'll give it a shot. I was just looking for opinions and whatnot from people that had them. If they had to do them over and had the 'gates.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff