'90 W250--'89/91/92 Ramcharger

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Next stage- Twins (last page)

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:31 pm

JustinRhodes wrote:but since you mentioned xbox, i downloaded the beta for battlefield 3 today. fun game so far 8)

Look my GT up next time you're online, it's the same as it is on here.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:27 am

Well, I've been driving the truck around for a couple days now. Pretty local, as I still haven't put the front fender, hood, or grill on and don't have the air-to-water hooked back up yet.

First drive was a smoky, piggy mess, though the turbos still seemed to spool up right at the same time. After some bitching from Hineman, I pulled my 'gate actuator off for my S300 and took it to work to see where the 'gate starts to open at. Turns out, that actuator starts moving at around 5psi and is fully open by 40psi. Since the truck cruises at about 5psi, it seemed to explain the horrible smoke and lag I was getting. :lol:

Last night I just left the 'gate unhooked and ran the hose straight to my external 'gate. Spooled much better, though still too smoky for me, but I'm still able to push it above 50pis from 3rd gear on. I screwed around and got my internal 'gate setting somewhere more around the 20-25psi range, so it should work a little better once I hook it up.

Though it's not lacking for power, it seems like the turbos don't have time to spool all the way up in 1st and 2nd anymore. It feels stronger than the single, but the single could whip up 40-45 psi easy in those gears. The most boost it can muster now is about 30psi before it governs out.

I'll get my IC hooked back in the system and get all my 'gates functioning and report back with some videos or something when I can. I need to find a camera holder who knows not to talk during a movie. Those seem to be pretty hard to find these days after looking through Youtube. :lol:

Oh, and tyhe turbos still seem to get loud at the same time when they spool. My cousin was riding shotgun for the test rides yesterday and kept complaining that the turbos were hurting his ears.

Perfect. :mrgreen:
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Legally hit the road tonight!!

Threw the front clip back on, hooked and filled up the air/water IC, and looked for smoke/flames while I was backing it out of the garage. Spool-up is only slightly worse then the S300 alone, but without my boost controller the external 'gate was dumping at 30psi and it wouldn't go any higher.

It already feels stronger at 30 than it used to at 40-45. I'll reset my controller tomorrow and get the boost back up here it should be.

Hineman, I'll run your phone charger(remember that thing?) back sometime this week and you can grab some video with your super phone.

Also, I threw the AFC top in the mill and buzzed off the excess material around the smoke screw, and I now have no haze or smoke problems. Still kept good spool characteristics.

It was like magic. :D
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby ahale2772 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:42 am

wachu do to the AFC??? got any pictures?

need some pics of the truck as well :grin:

keep tuning it! dont give up! feel the burn!
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:54 am

I don't have any before and afters of the AFC lid, but if you pull it off you'll notice that the smoke screw sits down in a little bowl. I just machined it down flat with the bottom of the smoke screw when it's backed all the way out.

I was worried about it coming up too far and the fuel pin coming out underneath it, bit I tested it a few times and it doesn't seem possible. I'll grab some pics of the truck this week, but it's not much to look at. Especially after it's extended stay in the shop without a bath. :lol:

I think I'm getting addiction to tuning this thing. All I think about at work is going home and seeing which screw I can turn or what clamp I forgot to tighten to make it run better. :twisted:
Last edited by Tacoclaw on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby ahale2772 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:56 am

GGGOOOOOOODDDD, it sounded like you were getting burnt out on it.

keep turning screws 8)
84 CCLB W350 project
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:28 pm

No screw turning for a while now.

After my drive to work this morning, with the dirty windshield, fog ,and no defrost, I think my heater lines have bumped up on the priority list a bit. I bought some 1/2* copper 45* from the hardware store and plan on brazing some clearance for those turbos.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Alrighty, been driving it for quite a while. Good times and all, even at 50 psi, so it can only get better. I'm getting a Hamilton 188/220 cam, and while it's down I'm going to be running 1/2" inlet lines to my lift and injection pump.

Now then, I've scrounged up 2 filter heads at work off of a couple old Detroits we had laying around, one for a 10 micron fuel/water seperator primary and one for a 2 micron secondary. I would like to set them up with both of them under the bed, with a screen of some sort between the LP and IP just in case, but wonder if the lift pump will be able to pull through them. If there's any reason to think it won't I'll still put the primary there and put the secondary after after the LP.

Thoughts on the pulling capacity of the of the LPLP?
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby shiftycapone » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Run a 100 or 85 micron inline filter before the lift pump if your worried. Jegs has plenty of brands that make them. Earls has a nice one for around $40.
1990 D250
shiftycapone
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Think I oughta put both the filters underhood somewhere? That's where they're going to have to end up if they go after the LP...

I've got some weenie lawn mower inline filter in front of my LP right now that hasn't let me down, but I do want to have both of these filters on my system.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby ahale2772 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:13 am

i had my oil filter on my camaro mounted up front neer the battery, that worked well, being easy to get to. You could build a bracket off the battery pan thing, cant picture in my head right now if there is enough room
84 CCLB W350 project
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:15 pm

Levi, put the 10 micron before the LPPP and the 2 after it. You need something before the LP or you'll wipe out the piston with crap and won't get any pressure out of it. I had nothing and the screen in the LPPP was plugged when I got to SOP 1 year. The pressure was down from 10-11psi on the highway to about 5-6. I cleaned it and it came back up to 8 or 9. I could see fine scratches on the piston. When I installed the draw straw, 1/2 inch lines and the 10 micron prefilter it came up to 13 ish. It's still stock from the LPPP to the IP. That's the next (and last) upgrade section.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Word. 8)

I just wanted to have the water separator under the bed at least, so I didn't have to drain fuel all over my frame and engine like I do now. I was just wondering if the piston pumps had the power to pull through a filter when they're already that far above and away from the tank.

I hate redoing things, so unless they're a complete failure I leave them as I first made them. :grin: It would suck to have that filter choking off the LP and me not know it.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby JustinRhodes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:Word. 8)

I just wanted to have the water separator under the bed at least, so I didn't have to drain fuel all over my frame and engine like I do now. I was just wondering if the piston pumps had the power to pull through a filter when they're already that far above and away from the tank.

I hate redoing things, so unless they're a complete failure I leave them as I first made them. :grin: It would suck to have that filter choking off the LP and me not know it.

You could borrow my fuel psi gauge if you wanted :lol:
91 Dodge W250 Pee Pumped Cummings
JustinRhodes
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Never, gauges are for nerds. :P
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

PreviousNext