Begle's Water Injection

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Begle's Water Injection

Postby Begle1 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:47 pm

Alright, I've gotten far along enough with my water injection system to post pictures.

Water reservoir.

Pump.

I bolted the Cooling Mist controller behind this kickplate, where I had my inverter. Now the inverter is on the steering column...

I got a milspec laptop programming things. Semi-permenantly wired it to the inverter.

Water injection wiring harness through a DIN rail.

Boost pressure transducer.

My auxillary fuse block is getting full...

Here's the biggest work in progress. I sourced some stainless-steel braided lines and some check valves from Swagelok. So I'm going to move the solenoids to the fender, mount the check valves directly on the nozzles and connect them with the stainless lines.

And it's not enough. I need to get a pressure reading at the nozzles to see how bad I'd bogging down the pump at 40 GPH. But, the same system is adaptable for 1000 PSI water injection, or nitrous.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Last edited by Begle1 on Wed May 28, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed May 28, 2008 3:06 pm

Looks good so far. Where did you get the solenoids, and how much were they?
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Those solenoids are $40 a piece from Cooling Mist. I gotta get them onto the fender; I'm sure they're not too fond of the heat.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed May 28, 2008 3:11 pm

Think they'll work for air? I need 1 for the air horns and 1 for my exhaust switcher valve.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:15 pm

I'd assume that they'd work for air. I think they're only rated for 200 PSI though.

I've contemplated moving them to BOV duty after they get replaced with 1000 PSI nitrous solenoids....
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed May 28, 2008 3:33 pm

That's plenty! I'm only going to run about 120.
Thanks for the info.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby SNOOT » Wed May 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Holy crap don't put the flame out!!!
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby Fnschlaud4620 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:09 pm

looks great begle! I love seeing creative work rather than some guy that buys all bolt on stuff for their truck. Do you have any plans for more pressure? Great work.

Can you show any close up picks of the computer and programming? what are you using? labview?
1998 GMC K3500 180,000 1st gen Cummins H1E/HT60 twins PPE 435 injectors 5" exhaust 4l80e
Truck Pics: http://www.cummins-conversion.com/photo ... ppuser=556

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk300/Fnschlaud4620/
Fnschlaud4620
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Fnschlaud4620 wrote:Can you show any close up picks of the computer and programming? what are you using? labview?

The laptop is a 850 MHz Itronix IX-250, which is a predecessor of the Panasonic Go-Book. I got the Itronix because they're $130 off of eBay, and they meet military specifications of 140 degree heat, vibration, water, shock and jar resistance. It also has an illuminated keyboard and touchscreen.

It connects to the Cooling Mist "Smart" controller with a serial cable. I'm using the software that came with Cooling Mist's controller, which is limited but constantly improving.

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=1099

Back at Arizona State they had a couple hundred LabView-compatable National Instruments DSP boards floating around... I was definitely tempted to sneak one or two into my backpack, but I'm sure they wouldn't have been too happy if they caught me walking away with $400 DSP's. The Cooling Mist controller only costs $200.

I'm going to get a pressure sender out of this set-up to make sure that it's working... I'd imagine that it's dropping below the advertised 150 PSI at 40 GPH of flow, against ~30-40 PSI of boost pressure. I can see the same wiring system controlling two or three nitrous solenoids in the near future. :lol:

I got that hydraulic pump too, that I wouldn't mind converting over to water...
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Fnschlaud4620 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Begle, I think you have found the answer to my VGT turbo problem. That system looks to me like it will do everything I need it to do for controlling my turbo......better than the megasquirt I picked up. Dirt cheap too.

It dosent need a laptop plugged into it all the time does it? That is just for tuning. It is like any other ecu right? tune and burn to ecu?

I have found everything I need to make my project work I just need to figure out how to monitor turbo shaft speed.

but that is for my thread...

Any how, great work Begle! Just throw that hydrulic pump in your tool box and I am sure you can find someone at ASU to make a starter drive it. We have a machinist at WMU for stuff like that.... Just tell them it is for a student project....
1998 GMC K3500 180,000 1st gen Cummins H1E/HT60 twins PPE 435 injectors 5" exhaust 4l80e
Truck Pics: http://www.cummins-conversion.com/photo ... ppuser=556

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk300/Fnschlaud4620/
Fnschlaud4620
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Dude! Read the fourth post!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I even linked to it! Over a year ago!

The laptop is only for programming it. Once you get it programmed it's autonomous.

But the laptop also lets you monitor what solenoids are open when, and it works as a datalogger and displays virtual gauges of all your inputs. And it looks cool to be fiddling away on your laptop between stoplights...
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Sat May 31, 2008 5:19 pm

Hey!
Nice work!
Where did you source that groovy pressure transducer? I have the MAS controller for my Snow, so I need a pressure transducer to feed the controller variable voltages.
Thanks!
Mark
mhuppertz

Postby Begle1 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:45 pm

That transducer isn't really the right one. But Arizona State had a limited selection.

It's good for 150 PSI, but it also outputs in 4-20 milliamps and requires 24 volts. So I had to use a resistor to get a voltage and I had to find a transformer out of the thrift store to run it. I don't think the way I wired it is supposed to work, but it does so far. :?

eBay has a pretty good selection of pressure transducers. There's quite a few that go for under $100. I think that good ones can list off-the-shelf for a few hundred.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Sat May 31, 2008 7:30 pm

Begle1 wrote:That transducer isn't really the right one. But Arizona State had a limited selection.

It's good for 150 PSI, but it also outputs in 4-20 milliamps and requires 24 volts. So I had to use a resistor to get a voltage and I had to find a transformer out of the thrift store to run it. I don't think the way I wired it is supposed to work, but it does so far. :?

eBay has a pretty good selection of pressure transducers. There's quite a few that go for under $100. I think that good ones can list off-the-shelf for a few hundred.

Thanks, I'll check ebay!
mhuppertz

Next

Return to The good stuff