Hey Philip! Nissan relays

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Hey Philip! Nissan relays

Postby Begle1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Here are the relays I bought from the Ecology junkyard a couple weeks ago.

It looks like Nissan has used the same relays and relay holders for over the last 20 years. They're a modular design, which makes them excellent for retrofitting into other vehicles.

Here are the relays. Notice how they're color coded, and how the pins are nicely protected.

Here are the relays with their sockets; the sockets are also color coded. I don't know how to change the pins in them yet, but I'm very interested in figuring it out.

The sockets clip securely into these "ice cube trays"; then you insert the relays into the socket. As you can see, you can put whatever sockets you want in the tray. The trays are a pain to get apart, but the ones I dug out of the junkyard held up to the sun pretty well; they did come apart instead of just breaking. Once everything goes together, it's a pretty secure set-up.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the blue/ grey and green/ brown relays, and what the amp ratings are of the different relays.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:32 pm

terminal 1&2 seem to be the controll pins for all the relays. Ground
eather one and supply power to other one.

The black relay put power to pin #3. Pin #4 is a normaly closed circuit when the relay is unpowered. Use pin #5 when the relay is turned on.

The light gray relay uses pins 3&4 as a normaly closed circuit. Pins 6&7 are normaly open. When the relay is off.

both blue relays are a normaly closed circuit. On pins 3&5. It opens when controll power is applied

The green relay is a normaly open.

I haven't seen any relay rated less than 30 amps in auto usage.

I wish they used the standard 5 pin bosch relays. That is what I am looking for.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:40 am

Almost all right.

The green, blue and yellow relays all have coil between 1 and 2, and all are normally open between 3 and 5. With the exception of the newer blues, they all have the same pin layout. Amongst those with the same pin layout, the green's have 70 ohm coils, the blues have 60 ohm coils and the one yellow I have has a 33 ohm coil. The new-style blue relay with the different pin layout has a 70 ohm coil.

Maybe the yellow one was for an airbag?

The 3-pin grey relay makes contact between pins 2 and 3 when voltage is applied across 1 and 2; so with positive voltage at 2, there is 12 volts at 3 and with ground at 2 there is ground at 3. These also have "15 amps" stamped on them.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical